Help with courses!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am new to diving, with just a few dives under my belt. I am now a certified OW diver and planning on taking all the courses up to IDC in Boracay! So here I have a few questions that need your expert advice-

-How much should I expect to pay for all the courses(including all PADI application fees & IE fees)?

-How long does it usually take till one becomes an instructor?

-Since I've never been to the Philippines, any dive operators you would recommend?

Any input would be welcome!

thx!!!

Hi everyone!

I am new to diving, with just a few dives under my belt. I am now a certified OW diver and planning on taking all the courses up to IDC in Boracay! So here I have a few questions that need your expert advice-

-How much should I expect to pay for all the courses(including all PADI application fees & IE fees)?

-How long does it usually take till one becomes an instructor?

-Since I've never been to the Philippines, any dive operators you would recommend?

Any input would be welcome!

thx!!!
i won't answer the "get some experience part" since going OWSI is still a pipe dream for me... but as far as i know costs will go to (rates are in pesos... +/- P45=$1 nowadays)

AOW - 5,000
EFR/ RD - 15,000
DM - 25,000
IDC - 125,000

that does not include all the dives you'll need to do in between those courses (most courses include their required dives/ checkouts) to rack up experience...

if you want to be serious about your IDC and be a "real" instructor (instead of a 1-week-wonder) you'd best check out Asia Divers in PG... i heard they're the best CDC operation in the country and can pretty well take you from OW noob to OWSI w/o killing anyone :eyebrow:

Jag

hi, if you are based in bora, i guess that would be the only option for you. but if you are based in manila or anywhere in manila, i would advice you to just take it here. you do not have to rush yourself in finishing just because of financial concern especially if you would be renting in bora. A DM courses need more than a week or so to actually phantom, entry level certification needs mastery of skills before jumping into another course. you need time to practice practice practice. its basically like driving, you can not be a pro unless you have alot of hours under the wheel, with diving it is the same. so rushing it wont make a you better diver, assesment of others is also as important especially when you start leading groups, how can you assess properly if you cannot even fix you own buoyancy... i hope you get what i am trying to say here. you need time , lots of it and mastery of skills before venturing into dm ship, if you are based in manila, you will have all the time in the world. but when you are in another place renting and spending, time would be limited for you. there are alot of good instructors based in manila or cebu for that matter.

These are very good points which should be considered carefully.

There was a thread a few months ago about this subject. Another guy who wanted to do hi Instructor course in Boracay... Do some searching, i'm sure you'll find it...

Cheers!:coffee:

hi, if you are based in bora, i guess that would be the only option for you. but if you are based in manila or anywhere in manila, i would advice you to just take it here. you do not have to rush yourself in finishing just because of financial concern especially if you would be renting in bora. A DM courses need more than a week or so to actually phantom, entry level certification needs mastery of skills before jumping into another course. you need time to practice practice practice. its basically like driving, you can not be a pro unless you have alot of hours under the wheel, with diving it is the same. so rushing it wont make a you better diver, assesment of others is also as important especially when you start leading groups, how can you assess properly if you cannot even fix you own buoyancy... i hope you get what i am trying to say here. you need time , lots of it and mastery of skills before venturing into dm ship, if you are based in manila, you will have all the time in the world. but when you are in another place renting and spending, time would be limited for you. there are alot of good instructors based in manila or cebu for that matter.

Thx for all your prompt reply=))

I'll be doing a six-months trip in Asia (Yep! First time in Asia!) and will probably spend around two to three months in the Philippines. And a friend of my friends(ha!) suggested Boracay.

I did some research on the place and looks like it would make a good place for DM-ship, what with the heavy dive traffic and night life (to keep me busy when I'm not diving!)

Downside of doing DM-ship in Boracay is that most ppl say that the dive sites in that area is just so-so(as in when compared to the other world-class dive sites in the Phils) and the rates for the courses and expense etc. are rocket high. I visited one of the web sites of one of the dive operators based in Boracay and they charge PHP16500 for AOW, PHP30000 FOR Rescue-cum-REF, PHP 48000 for DM. Looks like it would take around USD 6k to become an OWSI if I am to get my training in Boracay.

please help me decide:coffee::coffee:

puerto galera has night life and costs should be cheaper. more options too.

go to PG for your training... go to boracay to party...

it's relatively easy to travel around here anyway... besides... i've spent 1 week in boracay and got bora'ed out after 5 days... trust me the novelty will disappear soon enough

Jag

If you go to the DIVE DOJO homepage DIVE DOJO you can download rates for training that fall in the middle to high price range. Hope that helps you if you are looking for price lists.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thx for all your prompt reply=))

I'll be doing a six-months trip in Asia (Yep! First time in Asia!) and will probably spend around two to three months in the Philippines. And a friend of my friends(ha!) suggested Boracay.

I did some research on the place and looks like it would make a good place for DM-ship, what with the heavy dive traffic and night life (to keep me busy when I'm not diving!)

Downside of doing DM-ship in Boracay is that most ppl say that the dive sites in that area is just so-so(as in when compared to the other world-class dive sites in the Phils) and the rates for the courses and expense etc. are rocket high. I visited one of the web sites of one of the dive operators based in Boracay and they charge PHP16500 for AOW, PHP30000 FOR Rescue-cum-REF, PHP 48000 for DM. Looks like it would take around USD 6k to become an OWSI if I am to get my training in Boracay.

please help me decide:coffee::coffee:

Hi everyone!

I just got back from my trip to Asia!!!! visited Boracay and it was a real gem. i think the white beach is one of the most beautiful beaches i hv ever visited. too bad i just stayed on the island for a few days as i had to move on.

One of the regrets I had for my trip is not being able to further my dive education.so i am still very much a dive newbie;DD

I enjoyed the laid-back atmosphere in Boracay so much that i am now planning on having all the courses up till the IDC course on my next Bora trip later this year.

Thing is I am not sure whether I should go there late June or August for my training to prepare myself for employment for the high season which I heard starts sometime around November.

Any input will be appreciated!

and by the way, baluts arent that bad when u wash it down with san miguel...:crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom