Trip Report Cabilao and Dauin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brownmola

Registered
Reaction score
First of all, I'd like to thank everyone on this board for all their advice and help in helping plan an organize my trip, especially those who PM'd me with their help, Maggie, Pakman, Bisugo, Diver Dennis, and Mike Veitch. I couldn't of set this all up without you. We were in the Philippines for about 16 days. The trip was AWESOME!!! The weather was not as hot or humid as I had expected, it only rained for a few hours the 16 days I was there and everyone was so nice. All in all, just a dream of a dive trip.

Polaris Resort in Cabilao
We were picked up by one of the staff members at the Cebu/Mactan Airport. We took a 2.5 hour card ride down the coast and boarded a Polaris boat which took us to the resort. We basically had the entire resort to ourselves. There were a few people that came in but on most dives it was just myself and my wife. Most of the dives were wall dives. We dove at 9am and then at 2pm. I've never been to a place that didn't do back to back dives and it was nice to be able to sit and relax and eat lunch between dives. The closest dive site was the house reef which was spectacular. It was a 20 second boat ride out to the wall. The farthest dive site was on the other side of the island which took a grand total of 12 minutes. On most of the dives, we followed the same pattern, drop down to 80-90 feet on the wall and we would slowly ascend and finish our dive in some really nice coral. Our shortest dive was 65 minutes and our longest dive was 80 minutes. We basically ended our dives when one of us was low on air. Our divemasters were Randy and Jericho and they were superb in finding and pointing out lots of small animals. Some of the highlights for us included 3 pygmy seahorses, There was no current to speak of which surprised me a little. The seas were so calm and glassy it was unreal. Truly a paradise.

The rooms were very basic but large. The restaurant was also very basic but served really good meals between $2-$5. The sweet and sour chicken was a favorite of ours. The homemade wheat bread was amazing. I can't reiterate how much we loved Polaris. Everything was about as perfect as it could be, most of all, the people that worked there really made the trip memorable. We were definitely sad to leave.

El Dorado Resort in Dauin
We were picked up in Dumaguete and took a short ride into El Dorado. It was quite different than Polaris. There were already 20-30 people there and it didn't have the isolated charm of Polaris but I was excited to try a new place. It did not disappoint. The diving was great, we saw a lot of new animals we did not see in Cabilao. Lots of Ornate and Robust Ghost Pipefish, seahorses, frogfish and nudibranchs. The dive scheduling consisted of the dive sites and spots being written on a white board the evening before and then the divers would sign up for the dives they wanted to go on. Th visibility in general was about 35-50 feet, never crystal clear but who cares when you are looking at small stuff. There was very little current throughout our week here as well. We dove the pier 3 times which was absolutely stunning every time. Our first dive on the pier was a little overwhelming, so much stuff to look at. We dove Apo Island twice and it was a nice change but I was not "blown away" by the dives, maybe I expected too much??? Beautiful coral gardens but very few fish. Maybe the time of year or the lack of currents added to the low fish count. The house reef in front of Bahura was a real pleasant surprise on our last day of diving. That was the one site the seemed to have lots of fish. Very beautiful dive spot. The Filipino divemasters were all very knowledgeable and very nice. We had Lito and Rey for most of our dives and they always found little critters that we would not have seen on our own. Just a warning for all you photographers, we were charged a photo fee for every dive we used a camera, not just at Apo.

The restaurant was amazing. The food was absolutely great with a large menu to choose from. We chose to pay for full board before we arrived and when I asked what that covered, the response was breakfast, lunch and dinner. After the first 2 days, we discovered that the full board covered a certain limit-300 pesos for entrees and it did not cover all desserts or any of the drinks. We rarely ever maximized the cost of the full board but we didn't care too much since all of the food was so good. Our personal favorites were the pizzas and the paella. The restaurant is open from 6am-10pm and the bar is open 24 hours. The standard rooms were a lot smaller than I had imagined. It was pretty tight in there for 2 people with lots of camera gear. The bathroom/shower was very small. The room size didn't affect our trip in the least because the only time we spent in their consisted of napping or sleeping. The cable tv was nice as was the mini fridge stocked full of drinks and snacks.

Overall, it was such an amazing trip. My wife and I will never forget it and we are already thinking about when we can come back with about 10 of our friends. Everyone was so nice and welcoming and the diving was very inexpensive. We love the Philippines!!

Attachments

• soft coral-brittlestar.jpg
    soft coral-brittlestar.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 55
  • snake-sea krait.jpg
    snake-sea krait.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 124
  • crab-candy closeup.jpg
    crab-candy closeup.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 52
  • crinoid-on brain coral.jpg
    crinoid-on brain coral.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 49
  • fish-blenny hiding in mid water grass.jpg
    fish-blenny hiding in mid water grass.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 52
  • fish-giant frogfish pink and grey.jpg
    fish-giant frogfish pink and grey.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 42
  • fish-giant frogfish wide angle.jpg
    fish-giant frogfish wide angle.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 42
  • fish-halimeda ghostpipefish vertical.jpg
    fish-halimeda ghostpipefish vertical.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 51
  • fish-mimic leatherjacket.jpg
    fish-mimic leatherjacket.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 39
  • fish-ornate ghost pipefish.jpg
    fish-ornate ghost pipefish.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 58
  • fish-painted lizardfish.jpg
    fish-painted lizardfish.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 47
  • fish-robust ghostpipefish pair.jpg
    fish-robust ghostpipefish pair.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 43
  • jelly-upside down mangrove.jpg
    jelly-upside down mangrove.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 51
  • shrimp-white crinoid.jpg
    shrimp-white crinoid.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 39
Just a warning for all you photographers, we were charged a photo fee for every dive we used a camera, not just at Apo.

Pardon my ignorance ... this is something I've heard of but we have not had to deal with before. How much, charged by whom, etc? Is this a common practice in some areas? A handy little "tax" or what???

Thanks for the trip report.

Photos of the pier???

=======

The local government use this 'taxing' to subsidize the life of the local fishermen so they don't fish the sanctuaries that use to be their fishing ground.

It's an outrageous price to pay. Dauin is one of the most expensive dive sites in the Philippines. But the things you find in 1 dive is rewarding.

I guess making it expensive also limits the diving in the area.... less divers... more time for the fish to recover from all the flashes it gets in its eyes... :D

Hello

I am also planning to go to Cabilao and Dauin with the same resorts. Can you explain how you booked accomodation and diving (if you did it before arrival)? Did you transfer some money for the booking?

About transfers, did you organise it by yourself between Cabilao and Dauin? And between Dauin and the airport? How long where they and what was the cost ?

Thanks for your great report

Hello

I am also planning to go to Cabilao and Dauin with the same resorts. Can you explain how you booked accomodation and diving (if you did it before arrival)? Did you transfer some money for the booking?

About transfers, did you organise it by yourself between Cabilao and Dauin? And between Dauin and the airport? How long where they and what was the cost ?

Thanks for your great report

Hi AngelfishDiver, I set up the accommodations before arrived through email. I set up the diving once I arrived at the resorts.

Polaris required a wire transfer of $100 and I ended up paying the balance at the end of my stay with credit card (although it took several attempts for it to go through, they prefer cash, but I didn't have nearly enough and couldn't withdraw that much so I was relieved when the card went through).

At El Dorado, I sent a deposit via paypal and paid the rest with credit card. They ended up being close to full by the time we left, so I would definitely recommend emailing them in advance.

We didn't want to mess with transfers from and to the airport so we had Polaris pick us up from the airport, about a 2.5 hour car ride and then a 40 minute boat ride(around $100 for 2 people). At the end of our stay with them they took us to Tagbilaran and bought our ferry ticket for us to Dumaguete(around $35 for 2 people+ferry ticket). The ride to Tagbilaran was about 1 hour and the ferry was about 1.5 hours.

El Dorado picked us up in Dumaguete(free pickup) and then took us back to the airport at the end of our stay($68 for 2 people). We had to take a 25 minute ferry from Negros Oriental Island to Cebu Island, the ferry ticket was part of the dropoff fee. There was another driver waiting for us when the boat docked. Even though it seemed like double the distance from our Polaris pickup spot, the car ride to the airport was only 3 hours, although we did leave at 5:30 am.

Hope that helps.

<snip>
El Dorado picked us up in Dumaguete(free pickup) and then took us back to the airport at the end of our stay($68 for 2 people). We had to take a 25 minute ferry from Negros Oriental Island to Cebu Island, the ferry ticket was part of the dropoff fee. There was another driver waiting for us when the boat docked. Even though it seemed like double the distance from our Polaris pickup spot, the car ride to the airport was only 3 hours, although we did leave at 5:30 am.

Hope that helps.
Was "part of" or all of? I'm just curious because when I stayed at El Dorado in March, all transfers were free... including a trip out to the airport. Were you driven outside their usual shuttle times perhaps?

Glad to read you had a great time! I requested Rey as a DM whenever possible -- he's one of the best people I've dived with so far.

The ferry ticket was very cheap, less than $2 I think. I'm surprised your airport transfer was free, that's great. Maybe due to the high fuel costs now?

I don't know, I just checked the website and shuttle service is free. Maybe your departure time wasn't on the regular schedule so they charged for it?

On the dives you did from El Dorado, were more than 4 divers assigned per DM? (The website states 4-5 per guide but most of the dives I did had up to 8 divers. Not much fun especially on a wall. But the free Nitrox was great!)

Hi anna,

The way I read it, I think brownmola left internationally from Cebu Airport, while you only had to transfer to Dumaguete Airport for a local flight to Manila. If you look on the map, Cebu City is quite a ways away from Dauin so I understand having to pay a bit extra on the trip.

And Brownmola, I'd agree - I reckon it is about twice the distance! thanks for a nice trip report. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom