Wrist Vs. Console Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GuyZ

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I'm excited about getting back into diving after a long break. I would like to get a computer with my new gear and am seeking opinions on wrist vs console models. Also, I plan on traveling to dive. I have learned alot thru these forums. Thank you.

Id go with a wrist computer.To me a console just adds bulk and may be subject to more bumps.I love a simple,single spg.

I use a wrist computer with a standard SPG. It's a simpler system than an air integrated computer and it allows me to keep my gauges right in front of me while diving so there's less to mess with. I only have to unclip every so often to check my gas remaining.

I used to have a console computer and switching to the wrist mount improved my diving because I wasn't messing with my trim to get to my compass/computer.

Shane

wow, didn't we just do this about 2 weeks ago? Chances are MOST everyone will tell you to go with a wrist mounted computer and a "brass and glass" spg. Don't trust the transmittes, they're bookoo bux and not too reliable.

Yes, definitely a wrist-mount computer, so you can readily read it during ascent and at a safety stop. IMO the watch-style ones are far preferable to the clumsy big ones, if only because you'll keep it on between dives (and will be able to refer to it) whereas you'll probably have taken a big one off.

And although there are many wireless-integrated wrist computers I wouldn't bother with them because of the issues they raise. How often do you look at your SPG during a dive anyway?

I have a wrist, my dive buddy a console. And we both agree that wirst is the way to go. Less bulk, less to get twisted up, and if he's not careful, sometimes the console can drag so he's always worried he'll end up dragging it across reef. I originally chose the wrist because I wanted less bulk.

Does any one with a wrist style dive with a drysuit? Does the extra diameter or the arm material affect how well the computer will stay on? I would not like a $1000 to fall into the abyss.

Yes, you can have issues with security when diving a drysuit, as the suit compresses. If you're using a wrist strap, it's important to put it on a little tighter than you think. A better solution is to get one of the computers that fits in a DSS boot with bungie. The bungie stretches to get the gauge on, and contracts as the suit compresses. Tobin's boots are awesome.

So the next question for me is since I am a new diver just looking to purchase equipment, I don't want to spend a fortune as I don't really know what I want/need yet - which is the best value wrist style for a beginner? I haven't really started looking at them yet but figured any advice would make the research easier. Julie

Thank you all for you quick and informative replys. Now I'll focus my efforts on picking out wrist computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom