Dive Report "Sagebrush" J-Reef Savannah

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vshearer

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, I should let others post this but I had such a good time I can't wait. Some of us from the BBSC club of Savannah along with Captain Tim Gaylor on his 31' Morgan ran to the artificial wreck "Sagebrush" about 20mi. off Ossabaw today. The Sagebrush is a 180' buoy tender from 1944.

http://www.coastguardchannel.com/viewerCont/sagebrush/sagebrush.shtm

I will start with the only negative. The run out is about 1:45 of which 35-40 minutes is clearing the sound. Of course long runs are a given along the Georgia-South Carolina Coast. The good part is the boat is very comfortable for a 6-pak, and you can either nap or enjoy the scenery which is beautiful for that first 40 minutes. Not much of a negative.

We did two dives on the wreck. The first had excellent vis at over 40+. We hit it just past low tide. Max depth. 70'. Lots of small fish and swarms of baitfish. Spade, small snapper and grouper. One or two rangy 'cuda. I spent most of the first dive just going around the wreck with a few passes over the deck. This is a great ship to dive. my comp showed water temp was 82 on the surface and 77 on the wreck.

After our SI we made a second dive. Viz had decreased to about 15-20' on the wreck and current had picked up a bit. Spent most of this one going over the deck and superstructure and it was almost like diving another boat. You definitely need two dives to really appreciate all there is to see here, if not more. Max depth 75'. ( I dug a hole)

Lots of jellyfish though.Seemed they were all in a layer between 10-30'. I felt like a Liberator Bomber dodging flak bursts during the safety stops, but it was fun and makes it go by fast. :D.

Hopefully we will be doing more of these, along with some spearfishing trips, etc. Get some of you Atlanta folks down here! :wink:

Thnx for the report

DoubleorNothing Charters

Tim is just now converting from exclusively running fishing charters to handling scuba. He is working with Bob Bunkley at Scubamarket USA: Savannah Scuba gear NAUI & PADI Scuba Instruction Shop which allows him to have divemasters, etc. and make it a smooth and safe operation. My own personal observation is he is very capable, a great guy and handled the differences in stride. I believe the boat actually started out as a dive boat in it's previous service.

DoubleorNothing Charters

Tim is just now converting from exclusively running fishing charters to handling scuba. He is working with Bob Bunkley at Scubamarket USA: which allows him to have divemasters, etc. and make it a smooth and safe operation. My own personal observation is he is very capable, a great guy and handled the differences in stride. I believe the boat actually started out as a dive boat in it's previous service.

Thanks Vance
It was great to finally dive with everyone and NOT have to watch the boat! We will have a schedule for the trips soon on our website. Being a USCG Master Captain myself I knew Tim would do a great job. Tim is also a diver and knows what our customers expect.

Ok, I should let others post this but I had such a good time I can't wait. Some of us from the BBSC club of Savannah along with Captain Tim Gaylor on his 31' Morgan ran to the artificial wreck "Sagebrush" about 20mi. off Ossabaw today. The Sagebrush is a 180' buoy tender from 1944.

http://www.coastguardchannel.com/viewerCont/sagebrush/sagebrush.shtm

I will start with the only negative. The run out is about 1:45 of which 35-40 minutes is clearing the sound. Of course long runs are a given along the Georgia-South Carolina Coast. The good part is the boat is very comfortable for a 6-pak, and you can either nap or enjoy the scenery which is beautiful for that first 40 minutes. Not much of a negative.

We did two dives on the wreck. The first had excellent vis at over 40+. We hit it just past low tide. Max depth. 70'. Lots of small fish and swarms of baitfish. Spade, small snapper and grouper. One or two rangy 'cuda. I spent most of the first dive just going around the wreck with a few passes over the deck. This is a great ship to dive. my comp showed water temp was 82 on the surface and 77 on the wreck.

After our SI we made a second dive. Viz had decreased to about 15-20' on the wreck and current had picked up a bit. Spent most of this one going over the deck and superstructure and it was almost like diving another boat. You definitely need two dives to really appreciate all there is to see here, if not more. Max depth 75'. ( I dug a hole)

Lots of jellyfish though.Seemed they were all in a layer between 10-30'. I felt like a Liberator Bomber dodging flak bursts during the safety stops, but it was fun and makes it go by fast. :D.

Hopefully we will be doing more of these, along with some spearfishing trips, etc. Get some of you Atlanta folks down here! :wink:

I have dove this site, and the nearby "J" reef ledge several times in years past and have always had good dives. My first dive on the sagebrush began with descending through a huge school of barracuda. This kind of stuff hangs in one's mind. At the nearby "j" reef ledge I saw one of the largest nurse sharks that I've ever seen (had to be 12')wedged under the ledge with a large turtle under the ledge just a few feet away. Glad to see another dive operator in the area hitting these sites. Thanks for the report.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom