Transport help / advice please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Russ_UK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm going back to Coron Bay for another 2 weeks early next year (was there in March this year), but after Coron I'll have a couple of days in Manila while waiting for the flight home. I'll be staying in a hotel in the Ermita region and I'm thinking of making a trip to Subic to check out the dive centres & accommodation in preparation for a full holiday probably in the following year.
So my question is - what travel options are there to make this trip - anyone got an approximate price for a taxi for this trip - what is public transport like ?

Any recommendations for Dive centres & accommodation in Subic ?

Anyone know approx how much a taxi is from the airport to Ermita ?

i have no idea how much public transportation will cost going to subic. i havent tried that.
dive ops there include Boardwalk which is right at the waterfront inside the Subic Freeport and Johann's which is along the beach outside in Olongapo. both have received good reviews. i've gone with both. no complaints. boardwalk is more convenient though since its nearer and inside the base.
for taxi from airport to ermita, take the yellow metered taxis at the airport. fare should be less than 200 but i am not sure with the recent increase in fare rates

I vaguely remember taxi/ private car transfer to Subic from airport was over PHP3,000. That was a couple years back so I would expect prices higher. If you're adventurous, I think there is a Victory Liner bus from Manila to Olongapo. Then it's a short jeepney/ tricycle ride to the beach.

I'd recommend Johan's on Baloy Beach. Cozy place on the beach. Freeport feels too sanitized IMHO.

Website for Johan's is Johan's Beach Resort - Subic Bay, Philippines
Website for Boardwak Dive Dive at Boardwalk Dive Center Official Website -

I believe both resorts should be able to arrange for a Manila pick up.

There's a new highway they built that extends to Subic Bay from the main highway from Manila, so total travel time might be shorter now (but there are more tolls to pay).

SBMA official Subic Bay website here
Subic Bay Portal :: Welcome!

One small warning, try to check the shops if there are any US naval ships in town as they tend to close down some of the wreck dives including the USS New York (located very close to the port) for security reasons.

Blue Rock Hotel there is good as well, nice place and laid back friendly dive crew. Its okay there in Subic, but its quite an industrial port, and its a long trip out to the dive sites (40 mins on the boat). The most interesting dive, the USS New York is often off limits coz Uncle Sam is in town.

In terms of transport, I read there was a ferry that linked Subic to Manila but could not find it and ended up getting a driver, its about P3,000. Otherwise go via Swagman Travel to Angeles, they have daily trips back and forth to Manila and Subic via AC.

If you in Manila and looking for a day trip, Corredigor is a very interesting expidition. You can overnight there, and even some diving, but a day trip is easily organised. Also Subic is close to Pinatubo which is really interesting to check out either from the air or via trekking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom