Good dive gone bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdb

Reaction score
Figured I try my hand at a dive report.

This past Sunday we take off to our favorite shore dive spot. The one draw back to this site is the long walk down to the beach, about 300yards in soft sand. Usually once we reach our entry point we would relax on the beach for a while and give our legs a chance to rest, however Sunday was kinda cold and rainy ( air 69 degrees and water 66 degrees) so we decided to just head right in and just take the first dive slow and easy. We decide that I will lead the first dive because I had dove this site more than the other two. At somewhere around 2 minutes into the dive Jody calls the dive because of equipment problems. We all surface and decide that Chris and I will continue the dive while Jody works out the problems and will rejoin us on the next dive. Everything is going great, no other divers in the water to murk it up, fish all around us and 30' vis to boot. We reached our depth of 50' and hang out for a few minutes after which we decided to turn the dive and go see if Jody is all fixed up yet. I checked the compass, get a heading and off we go. At 45' we run into the current from H#!!. We guestimate the current to be somewhere around 2-4knts. I check my watch and it is just now supposed to be high tide. I look at my buddy to the left and slightly behind me and he is digging his hands into the sand and pulling himself along pretty effortlessly I figure, good idea and attempt this also, only it is not working for me. After about 3minutes of this and getting nowhere I notice that I am breathing way too hard, I look over to my buddy to signal him I had to rest just in time to see him lose his grip on the sand. At this point I remember thinking, how can a perfectly good dive go so bad so quick? I push up off the sand and catch up with Chris at which time I signal him to surface, we may have to get a ride back to shore but I am not fighting that current again. I am still very much out of breath and start to purge assist my breathing. At this point I am becoming disoriented and can only assume that we are in the boat channel by now, so I am working hard to keep our dive flag right on top of us, This is a popular fishing spot with many boats going in and out and the last thing I want is to end this dive by being run over by some boat. At 20ft I stop my assent for a safety stop only Chris keeps going up. Not a runaway assent but still he didn't stop at 20ft. When I was about to lose site of him I decided to cut my stop short seeing as how I didn't know exactly where we were by now. When we surface I was right, dead center of the channel and 400 yards from shore. We inflated the BC's rolled over and 30minutes latter we were back on land. ( I know we should have dropped down to 5 foot and swam but Chris was under weighted which is the reason he blew off his safety stop) Gave us plenty of time to recover though. Turns out that the tide chart I was using had daylight savings time off by one week. Its amazeing the difference

Glad to hear that you both came out of it ok.

I wonder if that is what happened to us on my birthday dive last year in Deception Pass. It was 3-23 and according to tides an currents software we were still in Standard Time.... but the slack was exactly one hour later than the program indicated.

a good reason to cancel the concept of daylight savings time--its dangerous to divers:)

Not being sarcastic--I really wish we would do away with changing back and forth from one time to the other.

Saskatchewan, Canada, the squarish province in the middle, is the only holdout that refuses to change to Daylight Savings time. Althought there's now a rumor that they're considering it.

Don't think that would be much help........ the biggest body of water I can think of is the Saskatchewan River, and I doubt there's much down there besides weeds and junk

there are a couple of good dives in Saskatchewan (if you like the whole "see 1 fish and 2 plants on 5 dives" thing). I did my advanced course out there :D.

Supposedly, one dive you can do is at Lake Diefenbaker. And you can swim down the streets of a small town that was submerged when they flooded the area after the building of Gardiner Dam.Of course, there are only the foundations left (so I'm told).

When I go back out to visit my friends I want to check it out and see if it is true for myself...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom