jackass..the movie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, I just rented jackass, the movie and there was a part in there that showed a couple Whale Sharks in a confined area. They were trapped by nets so they could do a little skit.

We should contact somebody and do something..right? Right?:wacko:

The whole movie was just plain stupid

The part with the whale shark was just cruel.

I wonder why the authorities didn't do anything about it.

The whale sharks are in a large netted enclosure (aproximately 150 feet in diameter and 70 feet deep, suspended off-shore) that belongs to and is governed by the Japanese. They are well taken care of, studied and released periodically. Whale sharks are indigenous to the waters off Okinawa and constantly wander into the large fishing nets. Since they cannot swim out of the large nets, the local fishermen bring them to this one area where they are cared for if injured and released. Due to the high cost of feeding the whale sharks, the Japanese use tourism (diving and glass bottom boats) to generate the funds to pay for food, and marine animal care.

For more information check out this article in Sport Diver Interactive "The Whale Sharks of Yomitan" by John Chandler

http://fire.worldpub.net/PRD/WPI/SD/SD_Main/1,1106,4-1-1-10307-1-0,FF.html

..did you think the night pandas skit was funny?

My favorite part is the one in which they sniff wasabi... and then puke on their sushis...

Hilarious :D :D :D

as a student of marine biology i found it disgracefull when they basically killed sea cucumbers by pretending to masterbate with it untill the poor thing got so stressed it ejected its digestive system.

Jut once bubbled...
as a student of marine biology i found it disgracefull when they basically killed sea cucumbers by pretending to masterbate with it untill the poor thing got so stressed it ejected its digestive system.

Jut,

I am concerned that you may not be getting what you are paying for in your marine biology studies.

To quote one of the most respected publications in marine biology "Poisonous and Venomous Marine Animals of The World" by Bruce W. Halstead, M.D. Director, International Biotoxicological Center, World Life Research Institute

Page 164

If the sea cucumber is irritated, the Cuvierian tubules are emitted through the anus. Upon contact with the water, the tubules swell and elongate into sticky slender threads which serve to entangle any predator that attempts to annoy it. Only part of the tubules are emitted at any one time, and the autotomized tubules are soon replaced by new ones. In some species the Organs of Cuvier are quite toxic, containing large concentrations of holothurin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom