Suunto product roadmap... OR should I buy a D9 now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anjin

New
Reaction score
So I'm going on a weeklong trip on a liveaboard and I'm finally going to buy a computer to get a computer. I've put it off too long, but now I have a dilemma.

I've read all the positives and negatives about the D9 and, though it sounds stupid, at this point I can readily admit that I want it for the looks. I know that the functions can be found on other computers for cheaper so don't try that line of argument to dissuade me from my purchase.

The only thing standing between me and a new piece of sexy scuba-bling is a concern that I'm going to buy it only to have Suunto come out with a new model a month later, and I find out that the price for the D9 is cut in half (it has been out for a while though maybe I'm thinking in too accelerated of a product cycle mindest... damn you Apple).

Has anyone heard anything about their planned new products? Thanks!

I recently bought a D9 because I really wanted to have a dive computer that I could pass off as a watch (so, not dissimilar to your thinking). Also, if you think of it as a watch rather than a dive computer, the price looks more reasonable :D It is a pretty handsome piece if you get the titanium strap, although it is a little bit bling.

Personally I like it, even though you can get the same raw functionality out of another computer for a lot less money, you wouldn't be able to wear it to a cocktail party. Really it is just a matter of choice. I don't do the wireless AI, because I am just intrinsically suspicous of wireless.

Suunto do slightly wind me up with their conservative algorythms (I still have my old Sherwood Profile attached to my SPG, which is much more forgiving), but the compass is quite useful if (like me) you regularly leave your compass on the boat figuring you know the dive site well enough, and then realise part way through that you don't. Or when you are driving around a new city.

Last edited:
FWIW, when the Suunto Vyper 2 and Cobra 2 came out, I don't recall the market price of Vypers (1s) and Cobras (1s) dropping by anywhere near 50%. Vague memories of maybe 10-20%. Would probably depend on what features got added.

Well, here is the thing - if you think it is worth $X to you NOW, then why wouldn't it be worth $X to you a month from now? A new product coming out shouldn't affect you in the slightest. You still got what you paid for and what you determined to be worth the money. You should just use what you buy and be happy with it.

When it comes to electronics, you will ALWAYS be better off "buying later" from a financial view, no matter what you buy or when you buy it. There will also be some new product that comes out that you wish you had waited to buy. You can play that game forever. But to suggest Apple and other companies should actually lengthen their product cycle and reduce the flow of new technology into the hands of consumers so they can feel better about their purchases is absolutely ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as buying a diving computer primarily for its looks :)

This issue is why I bought all my own gear very early in my "scuba career" - even before my first OW class. I figured that I wanted to reduce the "cost per dive" as much as possible - and the best way to do that is to BUY EARLY. Yeah, I may have bought an overpriced $700 BC - but if you look at the cost on a yearly basis, it's only $140/year. On a per dive basis, it's closer to $9.30/dive.

Whatever you do - I'd buy my dive computer before going on the liveaboard - regardless of which computer it is.

Anjin welcome to da Board. You are the consumer the marketing folks like - oooo it is sexy - I'll buy it. No worries we all succumb to that scheme once in a while. Kidding aside. Do you want a computer that is also a dive watch or just a computer? Me I have both but neither cost as much as the D9. I use a D3 as a backup but also as my watch while dive trips. Otherwise while at home it is in with my computer (a Vytek). For regular watches I like a nice but simple watch. I think the D9 is too big as a wear it around all the time watch. And of course as soon as you buy it a new one will come out - so hurry and buy it as others are waiting for the next version the D10 :D.

Anjin welcome to da Board. You are the consumer the marketing folks like - oooo it is sexy - I'll buy it. No worries we all succumb to that scheme once in a while. Kidding aside. Do you want a computer that is also a dive watch or just a computer? Me I have both but neither cost as much as the D9. I use a D3 as a backup but also as my watch while dive trips. Otherwise while at home it is in with my computer (a Vytek). For regular watches I like a nice but simple watch. I think the D9 is too big as a wear it around all the time watch. And of course as soon as you buy it a new one will come out - so hurry and buy it as others are waiting for the next version the D10 :D.

Ha, I know, I know... just getting distracted by shiny things. My girlfriend has the Oceanic Atom 2 and really likes it, and I've been wavering on whether to buy that. I just like how compact the D9 is.

And to NudeDiver, it isn't about the price of it. It is more a concern that I would buy the D9 at full price and then have something new come out with better features/form factor retailing for a similar amount to what I just paid for something else.

And to NudeDiver, it isn't about the price of it. It is more a concern that I would buy the D9 at full price and then have something new come out with better features/form factor retailing for a similar amount to what I just paid for something else.
I understand this - but I just do not see why it matters. If the contents of package A is worth $X to you, it should still be worth $X to you when package 2A comes out for the same money next month. You got the package and features you liked at the time for an acceptable price. I don't see why that would change just because package 2A comes out later.

Another option in the Suunto line is the Stinger. I wear mine full-time on dive trips, as my watch as well as my dive computer. I prefer the look of the Stinger to the D9 - but that is a matter of personal choice. The Stinger has been around for many years, and does not have the latest version of Suunto's software - but it is still in enough demand that it is still being produced alongside the newer models.

Since you will nerer be satisfied with whatever you buy, why do you torture yourself further?

I think the D9 is too big as a wear it around all the time watch.

Anjin, have you seen a D9 in person? I recently walked in to the LDS thinking I wanted a D6 (BTW, if you're in the U.S., Aqualung no longer imports the Stinger). Once I tried on the D9, I realized that it was way too big to wear on land. I have small wrists, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom