To dive or not to dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where2Next

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello. I will be in Positano, Italy the beginning of this May. I saw there are a few dive shops in the area. I was wondering if anyone has dove there and what their thoughts were on the various island dives. I love diving, but my husband insisted on a cultural vacation this time around, so I am trying to combine both! Is it worth a day/morning to dive there? Thanks!

Hello. I will be in Positano, Italy the beginning of this May. I saw there are a few dive shops in the area. I was wondering if anyone has dove there and what their thoughts were on the various island dives. I love diving, but my husband insisted on a cultural vacation this time around, so I am trying to combine both! Is it worth a day/morning to dive there? Thanks!

I have no idea if the link is still valid, but a search turned up this from 2004.

Terry

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/introductions-greets/51430-how-diving-positano-italy.html

Definetly it worths. My suggestion is to get to Sorrento (from Positano), and let your husband visit one of the most charming places in Italy while you dive on the Banco di Santa Croce, one of the greatest dive spot in Italy.

I think you are very lucky: that area is very interesting both from cultural (don't miss Pompei) and diving point of view.

Ciao,
A.

Oh, my husband will be accompanying me on the dive! Yes, we are very excited about the upcoming trip! May 3-12 we have a home in Positano and then an apartment from the 12 - 16 in Rome. Very excited! I am just gonna rent my equipment and dive one day. Do you recommend a dive company in Sorrento? I can do a little research too, but if you have a suggestion... Thanks for the replay!

Oh, my husband will be accompanying me on the dive! Yes, we are very excited about the upcoming trip! May 3-12 we have a home in Positano and then an apartment from the 12 - 16 in Rome. Very excited! I am just gonna rent my equipment and dive one day. Do you recommend a dive company in Sorrento? I can do a little research too, but if you have a suggestion... Thanks for the replay!

I know these people, at Bikini Diving (http://www.bikinidiving.it/): excellent guys.

I know only them, so I can't do comparisons with other diving centers in that area, sorry.

Enjoy your trip: Positano and the "penisola sorrentina" is wonderful, and Rome ... doesn't deserve any additional word.
:)

Ciao,
A.

Just an update... We did dive while in Positano. I found the good food and wine to be overwhelming, and could only find time on one day. We traveled to Pompeii and Mt. Vesuvius, and Ercoleum a couple days - the drive from Positano to there was so curvy, I fought motion sickness the whole time. So I decided not to go on another 45 minute ride to Sorrento for diving. I found La Boa in Priano - just a few Kilometers down the road from Positano. They came to the Positano pier and picked my husband and I up. They had all the gear, as the only thing I brought was our C-cards. The equipment looked quite new - the mask and fins a little used, but I was glad to have them at all! We went out to Li Galli, which was a quick 10 minute boat ride to a tiny archipelago made up of three islets. The dive was cold, maybe low 50s. We saw a couple Octopus, red coral, Scorpion fish, an eel, a couple schools of tiny fish, a few anemones, many sea urchin, lots of grasses, the wall was pretty - rocky with little corals and grasses. Vis was about 30 feet or so. I was glad to have gone diving; however, I did not realize how cold it was until I got to the top and tried to use my hands to unhook something and they were not really functioning. Evidently the water temps do not change too much - I used a 5 mil suit lined with fleece. Good experience, worth it!

Back
Top Bottom