Wisdom II questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bell47

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm thinking about getting a Wisdom II dive computer but I've got some questions. I am about to take a advanced nitrox class with an intro to decompression diving. Can you switch gasses on the wisdom during the dive? I think they go from nitrox-40% as a travel gas, then air as a bottom gas,back to 40% then 50% for deco, or something like that. Also what happens if the battery fails, do you have no tank pressure gauge, or is there some type of back up? If you are not breathing off the tank that the wisdom is showing pressure for, does it still operate normally? I'll probably have some more questions by the time someone answers this, thanks guys.

I have been a Wisdom 2 owner & user for some time now and love it for the kind of diving I do, which is strictly single-tank recreational diving. The Wisdom does not support multiple gasses or in-dive tank switching. You will need a more technical computer for that.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Wisdom only supports up to 40% Nitrox mix.

As with any computer, if the battery completely fails in-dive you are SOL, no gauges or anything on the computer. However, the same thing could happen with a brass-n-glass SPG (in fact, I was diving in Coz recently where that happened, but nobody's computer failed). The Wisdom battery is user-replaceable, however, so I recommend keeping a battery change kit (which includes a replacement o-ring for the battery compartment) in your save-a-dive kit.

I have practiced ascending on an independent pony; when doing that, the Wisdom still operates, but of course it can no longer track your gas utilization and nitrogen absorption. Depth gauge function still works, and of course it still shows tank pressure on your primary tank. I only do this on my last dive of the weekend, because afterwards the Wisdom has lost track of my actual absorption levels.

If you are only rarely doing deco dives with multiple gasses, the Wisdom does have a plain Gauge Mode, allowing you to use tables without a bunch of warning alarms or anything from the Wisdom. But otherwise you should consider a more technical computer.

>*< Fritz

That's what I needed to know, thanks.

I have been a Wisdom 2 owner & user for some time now and love it for the kind of diving I do, which is strictly single-tank recreational diving. The Wisdom does not support multiple gasses or in-dive tank switching. You will need a more technical computer for that.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Wisdom only supports up to 40% Nitrox mix.

As with any computer, if the battery completely fails in-dive you are SOL, no gauges or anything on the computer. However, the same thing could happen with a brass-n-glass SPG (in fact, I was diving in Coz recently where that happened, but nobody's computer failed). The Wisdom battery is user-replaceable, however, so I recommend keeping a battery change kit (which includes a replacement o-ring for the battery compartment) in your save-a-dive kit.

I have practiced ascending on an independent pony; when doing that, the Wisdom still operates, but of course it can no longer track your gas utilization and nitrogen absorption. Depth gauge function still works, and of course it still shows tank pressure on your primary tank. I only do this on my last dive of the weekend, because afterwards the Wisdom has lost track of my actual absorption levels.

If you are only rarely doing deco dives with multiple gasses, the Wisdom does have a plain Gauge Mode, allowing you to use tables without a bunch of warning alarms or anything from the Wisdom. But otherwise you should consider a more technical computer.

>*< Fritz

very good answer to a specific question. I just wanted to confirm as well that it does only support up to 50% FO2.

very good answer to a specific question. I just wanted to confirm as well that it does only support up to 50% FO2.

That is correct: I misspoke when I said 40% - the Wisdom 2 actually goes up to 50% FO2.

Again, for more complex gas mixes or frequent in-dive switching, you'll need a more technical computer than the Wisdom, although for the rare occasional dive like that you could use the Wisdom in gauge mode. But for us non-deco, single-tank air or standard nitrox divers, it's great - I only wish it gave a running average depth and that the PC software were more bug-free.

>*< Fritz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom