AOW Course Materials Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rupp

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Taking my daughter on a 5 day trip to FL. I signed her up for the online PADI classroom course for her OW class. I was wondering if I should pick up the AOW materials in advance, sign up for the online materials, or just wait and get them from my dive shop. I will be taking AOW and, with any luck, the Nitrox course.

I tend to be sort of a study geek, but some have suggested I wait and read the materials when I arrive. Comments please? The online materials are $120, I don't know what the hardcopy contains, or what comes with it. Thanks for any help. :confused:

I would suggest checking with the shop that you are taking your course with to see what is included. I would be surprised if anything bad could come from doing advance reading and studying. I say read away as long as it is not going to financially set you back.

For the PADI AOW course you will be doing 5 dives. Deep and Navigation are required leaving 3 to be decided with or dictated by the shop. Peak Performance Buoyancy is usually included leaving 2.

The book is the PADI "Adventures In Diving Manual" and there is a chapter on each of the 5 specialties. You just need to know which 3 will be selected. Or, read the entire book. Well, some chapters will obviously NOT be included so you probably won't do all 17 chapters.

Around here, you are expected to have the Knowledge Reviews complete before you show up for class.

Richard

It's an open book review which is hard to fail. I did six since we were doing six dives. Filled out the "test" questions each day in the morning before leaving on the boat. It was a breeze.

Yeah, that's it. Get the book, ask which dives you'll do, and do the "Knowledge Reviews" in advance. Then you won't be held up after you do the dives. Do the other knowledge reviews also if you want. More knowledge-can't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom