Quick question: How do I disconnect my second stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Here's a basic question from a beginner. I would like to disconnect my second stage from my first stage and reposition it as well as my drysuit hose. Is it wise to do this myself or should I go to the dive shop? Also, what tool should I use? I don't want to damage anything.

Thanks.

You'll be just fine disconnecting the hose from the first stage by yourself. You just need something like a channel wrench to loosen and tighten the hose, and an allen wrench to remove and replace the plugs on the first stage. You do not need to lube the o-ring on the hose, and you don't need to retighten the hose or the plugs very much at all - just past finger tight is fine.

If you actually need to disconnect the second stage from the hose, you'll probably want two wrenches -one to hold the nut on the second stage securely, one to loosen the hose.

I would not use adjustable end wrenchs on my regs. Use the correct sized end (fixed) wrench. adjustable end wrenchs, more commonly called cresent wrenches will tend to round over the nut unless the are fitted tightly and stay that way.

Doing yourself is an easy job, just don't overtighten them.

And NEVER EVER use a pair of plyers or channel locks to remove or tighten the hoses. This will damage the pretty nickel finish and will get you yelled at by your local dive ship service tech the next time you have your rig in for maintenance.

Get an open end wrench that fits the fittings, do not use channel pliers on anything--ever. N

Dont over or under tighten them either. Overtightening can stress the o-ring and make future disassembly hard and undertightening can make for a scary dive. Give the wrench a firm snugging and don't torque it like a car tire nut.

There is a o-ring around the threads, best to replace if available. Look at the oring carefully for any signs of the rubber burring or scuffing. Make sure no lint is on it either before re-assembly.

Don't get any particulate matter or fluids in the first stage. Best done on a clean dry surface. Just becareful.

dont you need to use a special non-toxic lubricant on the o-ring?

I would add, just make sure you are installing the hose in a LP port. Most HP ports today are a different size than the LP port but there are exceptions and a mistake can be exciting to say the least. If the ports you intend to use are not marked it is pretty easy to tell the difference. With the hose/plug removed look into the port. If there is a hole about 1/8in or larger, it's a LP port. On the other hand if there is a TINY hole (you may not even notice it) in the port, it's a HP port. Start the hoses BY HAND and only use the wrench to snug them down, there is no need to crank down on it. As for lube, I use silicone but spit will do if you want something non-toxic ........although that might be a matter of debate. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom