Are Bigger flags better when shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I just did my first shore dive and thought it was great! - also saving about 70 bucks per dive is also nice :-D

I am looking into getting a "diver down" flag, and was looking between these two:
- The Standard styrofoam dive float
247-DEFAULT-l.jpg

INNOVATIVE CONCEPTS Economy Scuba Float With Dive Flag

- Inflatable float with larger flag (16"x20")
aquffi.jpg

Innovative Inflatable Flag-N-Float

Initially I was thinking getting a bigger (inflatable) float with flag would be better, but after reading some of the negatives:
- Not as durable as the Styrofoam types
- Harder to tow
- Boaters may not be able to see it easier, may not be safer
- May act like a boat magnet when lit up during night dives
- costs 20 bucks more

Especially the item about boaters not seeing it more easily (or for that matter caring about it) with it having a bigger flag.

In the end, is getting the largest possible dive flag it worth it?

Thanks,

Bob

The inflatable flag thing is not actually that much bigger than the one on the pole, a few square inches but not a massive increase in visibility. You'll also find that it requires a weight suspended from the bottom to keep it from tipping over (I have one). I have never poked a hole in mine so it seems durable enough, although its a real pain to inflate. I would go with the pole style, its definitely all around easier to use and tow.

I would scrap that small white microcell buoy on the top flag picture and get a real yellow buoy you see in the stores. We have had many of those cheep whit foam cell buoys join us at the bottom for the dive. On one dive I was leading, I was like the cavelry flag bearer carrying the flag with us at the bottom. The foam is cheep, compresses easily, gets water logged and sinks.

If the yellow type lobster buoy is to buoyant, you can shave a portion of the top off.

I replaced my white buoy with a small lobster buoy and used a glue gun to glue it to the pole. Used about 6-8 gluesticks.

I think to tube type buoy is good for calm lakes, carrying equipment, and dive classes. Just remeber; if the tube buoy get snagged on a overhang or lobster line etc., you are not going to be able to pull it down to unsnag it, you will have to surface. Thats why I don't like the buoys to be too buoyant.

Looks like the top one might sit higher out of the water---if so, I'd go with it...

Agree completely with ScubaSarus.

I couldn't find a merchant online, but think dive shops still sell the "Spongina float" dive flag that uses a commercial lobster float. Mine's pictured below with my scalloping setup.

If dragged under water, the harder Spongina foam will not crush like the white cylindrical ones.

ScubaSarus is also right about the drawbacks of a float that is too buoyant to pull underwater to free it from lines or obstructions.

Nevertheless, despite the hassle of a rare trip to the surface to free the flag shaft from a lobster line, I still use the "tuna ball" pictured below on most of my dives, mostly to make it easy to float salvaged items back. Increased drag is a drawback, of course, and it's hard to say whether it keeps boats more at a distance or attracts them.... :shakehead:

Someday, I'll get around to tapering the lead weight on my flag shaft so it won't grab the lobster lines. Then it could be pulled free more easily from depth. That would solve the problem nicely, I think. :)

Dave C

P6030002_Ro_ACt_M-Cr_R900.jpg

Last edited:
My concern with the orange ball would be if it meets state laws for dive flags.

That yellow "diver below" float is a nice idea but in reality its a pain. I own one and it works on an upline if you were to just drop is some place but to tow it around is a real pain. Its like towing a kite or something, just to much drag.

I also have the one with the foam bit, when I first started diving I pulled it under and ended up tangled in the poly line. I figured out my mistake and never had an issue since but I stopped towing a flag accept on maybe 1 or 2 dives a year.

I just carry a DSMB and shoot it up before I leave the bottom, its 6 ft tall and has a dive flag emblem on it with the words "diver below". People dont know what a dive flag is around here so I think its a nice touch to actually have words on the float stating what it is. Its illegal to not tow a flag but the extra task management, drag, and the issues with them getting snatched by boaters made me change my ways.

If you search the DIY forum you will find the biggest dive flag I have seen, its over 6 feet tall and has a massive float attached. If I dove in heavy boat traffic areas than I think I would consider making something similar.

Thanks Dave

The only problems with that Northwood is sometimes we have the DEP waiting to check divers exiting the water and in CapeAnn all divers have to carry a flag.

I like your idea though as it makes some sense providing you are diving deeper than a boats propella.

Also in low vis were buddy seperation are common its nice for one to havea flag so people can spot it on the surface and shore support can keep an eye on things.

Could you post a pic of you surface maker ? I'd like to see it sometime.

Check your state law.

Some laws specify the required flag size.

Some laws also specify that the flag must be a certain distance above the water.

And some laws, like West Virginia, specify that the flag must anchored and not towed.

If none of the above apply, then it doesn't matter because then it becomes a question not of dive flag size but of the size of the grey matter between the boat driver's ears. :D

The two flags at the beginning of the thread would probably be fine for a lake. In the ocean they would disappear alot in chop or swell. Something to think about when getting a flag is that 25-30 mph is not an uncommon speed for a boat (some are doing 50), if the flag disappears 25% of the time because of chop, there's a good chance the driver will be on it before he sees it. It's not uncommon for boat drivers to have salt spray on their sun glasses. No one pays attention 100% of the time. Small flags are invisible if the driver is going into the sun with salt spray on their glasses.

Get a 6' pole, a float you can run it through, a weight and a large dive flag to be safer. Stay away from the hankie sized dive flags. Bigger is better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom