How many times to clear a mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kat.hayes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am finding that it takes me around 4-times to clear my mask. It seems that I also take in a bit of water in my mouth when my mask comes off. I put it back on, tilt my head back and gently press on the top of the frame of the mask and exhale out my nose. I think I also might be unintentionally exhaling out of my mouth as well.

1. Does it help to tilt your head to the side when clearing the mask?
2. Can anyone provide any tips to clear it in fewer than 4 tries?

If you're using a high volume mask, you might trade it out for a lower volume mask (like the Atomic Aquatics frameless mask). It sits closer to your face, and when flooded, will contain less water than a high volume mask, so it's easier to clear.

If you're exhaling through your mouth as well as your nose, it'll definitely take more breaths to clear. I got out of that habit by blocking the mouthpiece with my tongue as I exhaled :)

This is one of those skills that you just need to practice until you can do it effectively. Given the the capacity of your lungs and the space within the mask there's enough air available to clear a few masks on a single exhale. With a bit of practice you'll have a Eureka moment and thereafter be able to do it in your sleep.

Three suggestions.
1-on the surface get a tissue and try blowing your nose with your mouth open. With a few tries you'll find the right combination of tongue position and throat muscles to be able to blow through your nose with no air coming from your mouth, and be able to duplicate it underwater and clear your mask on a quarter breath.

2- Try to use gravity to your advantage. The water will always collect at the bottom of the mask, so there's no need to tilt your head back except maybe very slightly so that the lowest point is where the skirt touches your cheek or moustache area.

3- If your mask fits correctly and doesn't leak, the skirt is fitting nicely at the top. You might be pressing the frame too hard, distorting the skirt and causing a leak. Don't press hard on the top of the frame, only use a bit of pressure to hold the top against your forehead so that the air will look to escape farther down. It's a touch control thing. Too much pressure and you cause a leak, too little and your exhaled air will leak out the top and not force the water out the bottom.

Last edited:
I agree with the suggestion to use a low-volume mask, if you're not already. I use the Mares x-vision mask, but I have been tempted by the Atomic mentioned above at roughly twice the price. Sparticlebrane posted a good video a while back of mask clearing. That would be worth tracking down. Maybe get your buddy to watch your technique.

The video:

YouTube - Mask Clearing

Last edited:
Press the top of the mask slightly, but avoid really pulling the bottom open.

Exhale forcefully through your nose.

Also, a lot of divers pull the bottom of the mask out, which actually lets more water in. if you are having to clear repeatedly, it's likely you are letting water in rather than expelling it.

So, to recap...

Vertical
Arch
Press
Exhale

V.A.P.E.

Okay, I just made that last part up --VAPE --but maybe it will help.

The other question to ask yourself is, why is your mask flooding or leaking?

Jeff

Also, quit pushing the top of your mask before you quit exhaling or you're just letting more water back in.

I found when my mask was to tight it leaked, i also bought a new mask now i have no problems with mask leaking or fogging. Maybe it's time for a new mask, not all masks fit everyone's face properly.

Get a mask with a purge button.

Also, you don't need to flood your mask to clear it. An eye dropper full of water is enough. Let in a tiny bit of water, look down and move your face around so the water covers the entire surface of the glass, then tilt your head back and exhale through your nose. There is no need to hold the top of your mask this way.
Make sure you have completely cleaned the glass with toothpaste before using it the first time, then wipe some spit, which works better than the store bought stuff, and rinse the mask right before putting it on and getting in the water. You shouldn't have a problem with mask fogging after that. I see too many divers rinsing their masks too soon. By the time they get in the water, the mask needs rinsing again.
And as Garrobo said, a purge mask solves this problem.

You can spend money and buy a low volume mask, or one with a purge, or maybe one with both, but they probably won't help.

Or you can take the time to master this skill. In any case, mask volume can't be a significant factor considering the small differences in the volume of different masks as compared to lung capacity.

Improving your skill will stand you better in the long run, without spending a penny. In my opinion equipment changes are not a smart substitute for basic skill mastery.

BTW- mask fit shouldn't be an issue, unless you have a chronic leakage problem not caused by something you're doing.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom