Do Barracuda Bite Back??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ketos

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been spear fishing for a couple years now and have gotten pretty comfortable with my shot, but i've never shot a Barracuda. I've whacked a bunch of grouper, a cobia, and a bunch of hogs. Other than the fight i had nothing to worry about, a.k.a comin back and biting my ass!!! My biggest concern with shooting cuda is Ciguatera poisoning. My second concern is dealing with them after the shot.

If anybody has any input on Ciguatera posioning and the likelyhood of a cuda carrying it, that would be awesome.

Sencondly, any input on a fight technique, other than a stone shot would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, has anyone ever had one come after them after the shot? That would suck :shakehead: ... haha

-Ben

I can not comment other than to say that the few folks I've talked to that have caught a cuda said the meat was not very plentiful, and the fish was VERY bony. I'm not sure why you would want to shoot one?

They do have wicked teeth, and they strike at 40mph. I would not want to piss one off, but my experience is that they are docile if you leave them alone, or even encroach on their territory. They tend to strike at shiny objects.

Your best resource for the safety of the meat is your state fish and game dept. They normally have a pretty good grasp. A barracuda's diet is very similar to that of a snapper or grouper. If the snapper and grouper are ok, a barracuda of about the same size should be also. I have read a number of reports on spearboard that cuda are pretty good eating, but I have never eaten one. I don't know about them trying to bite you back. Trigger fish are bad about that.

I would not want to piss one off, but my experience is that they are docile if you leave them alone, or even encroach on their territory.

Yeah i agree with you there, they are all over the wrecks here and i've never had an issue with them. They remind me of big dogs.

Your best resource for the safety of the meat is your state fish and game dept. They normally have a pretty good grasp. A barracuda's diet is very similar to that of a snapper or grouper. If the snapper and grouper are ok, a barracuda of about the same size should be also. I have read a number of reports on spearboard that cuda are pretty good eating, but I have never eaten one. I don't know about them trying to bite you back. Trigger fish are bad about that.

Thats a great point regarding their diet. I'll have to check with DNR and see if we have any reports of Ciguatera. I've seen a couple incidents with triggerfish before, they tend to be pretty funny though. Thanks again for the advice.

I've shot a few, then used them for bait/chum or give them to friends that eat them. Some people love small ones.

I usually line shaft them, they make a big run and pull for 15 seconds and tire out and pretty much give up. Definitely hit them in the head or just behind the gills. I usually leave them on the shaft and take back to boat at arms length.

They stink badly by the way. Smaller have less chance of CIG, uncommon unless in the Keys or Carribean.

Charlie

A buddy had one charge him after a badly placed shot. He fended it off but it was one p---ed cuda.

I've never shot a 'cuda but spent some time growing up in a place where a lot of people fished for them. They were very good eating.

IIRC, the larger ones were more at risk for carrying ciguera as it's a toxin they pick up from eating smaller fish that have eaten something containing the toxin. The larger the fish, the more accumulation they have of it.

There were a couple of "home remedy" methods of determining if one was safe to eat that I recall seeing.

I am not a marine biologist and I did not stay at the Holiday Inn last night. The following information is just an observation. If you try it and you get sick, it's your own fault!

One method was to cut a slit in a portion of the meat and then put a silver dime in about halfway. It had to be a real silver dime for it to work, and if the meat was bad, the portion of the dime sticking in the meat would turn black.

Another one was the "ant test." They would put a slice of the meat out for the ants, and if the ants wouldnt eat it, neither would the people.

The last one was the dog/cat test. A small bit would be offered to a dog or cat and if they sniffed it and then turned away without taking it the fish was discarded.

I saw my parents and grandparents do these "tests" on numerous occasions and we never had a tainted fish. There is no guarantee it will work for you!

I also recall brushing my hand against the mouth of one that was being cleaned and splitting my finger wide open on its teeth. That's been enough to discourage me from intentionally shooting one.

Mating season, in some areas, they become very agressive. Have seen one hit my buddy's tank valve. Knocked a bunch of teeth out, and scared the heck out of all of us. Had this guy actually hit the diver, it would have been ugly.

They are known to hit people in low vis water...and there have been deaths from the bleeding...but don't think that divers are usually in those conditions.

...They stink badly by the way.

So true.

Most fish smells come out of my gloves with just a rinse. With cuda it's not going away for a long time stinking up your dive bag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom