How much weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkipperJohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ho much weight do you own?
Do you carry on a dive?

& in what denomination (I think that word works here).

I'm figuring on getting 4 of each weight
5lb, 4lb, 3lb, 2lb, 1lb
But while that will enable me to make any weight combination I should ever need, I dont think I should tax my weight bag carying 60 pounds everywhere.

That is quite a bit of weight to be carrying around. And at my LDS weight is going for about $5.00 per pound... your 60 pounds would run about $300.00.

I own about 30 pounds of lead, the soft pocket kind mostly, although I do have a few 1 and 2 pound hard lead weights. Most of my soft weights are in one and two pound pockets (I'd say 6-8 of each, although I haven't counted them lately). I also have two - four pound pockets. I found that the smaller weights were more versatile than the larger ones.

Hope this helps....

USMCRet

I got some 5 pounders, 2 2 pounders, and 2 3 pounders. With these I come up with any weight I need as well as shift the weight from side to side if necessary.

I own about 80 pounds, but then it's needed when I'm instructing multiple students.

On a dive, we carry enough weight for the rigs we'll be diving plus about 8 pounds in 1 and 2 pound soft weights.

the K

I have 2-5lb, 2-4lb, 2-3lb, 2-2lb soft weights and 4-4lb hard that was given to me.

I just keep a bucket in my truck with a bunch in it.

Take out what I need for dives.

Replace the stuff that wanders away with stuff I find or occasionally buy some more. Tend to keep mostly 4 and 5 pounders, for last minute adjustments the one and two pounders just get used up too fast.

TC:
I just keep a bucket in my truck with a bunch in it.

Take out what I need for dives.

Replace the stuff that wanders away with stuff I find or occasionally buy some more. Tend to keep mostly 4 and 5 pounders, for last minute adjustments the one and two pounders just get used up too fast.

Likewise.

I use a strong cordura tool bag to "haul the lead". We have five divers in the family, with three of them still growing :D, so weighting requirements change over the course of a year... so I do carry some 2,4, and 5 lb weights, probably 20lbs total, in addition to what is on the 5 weightbelts :D

Dad (me) gets a good workout shlepping tanks and weights for the wife and kids between the truck and the beach :rofl3:

Best wishes.

Ho much weight do you own?
Do you carry on a dive?

& in what denomination (I think that word works here).

I'm figuring on getting 4 of each weight
5lb, 4lb, 3lb, 2lb, 1lb
But while that will enable me to make any weight combination I should ever need, I dont think I should tax my weight bag carying 60 pounds everywhere.

In about '86, bought a mold(my father reloaded ammo & had PLENTY of lead) & made about 40 3 lb weights..only thing I've ever used, locally.....have about 30 of them left from 'loaning' & giving a few away......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom