Best Cold Water Wetsuit Brand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tomasina

New
Reaction score
I have been diving for about 7 years and the time has come to purchase a new wetsuit. I live in Utah and do most of my diving in cold lakes and am wondering if anyone has any advice as to whether one brand of cold water wetsuit is better than another. I deffinitely need to have a 7mm suit, and I need one without a hood as I own this seperately. I have done some intital research, and the two brands that I hear of the most are Bare and BodyGlove (the ex3 and exo models). Any input anyone?

Thanks,

Tom

Oh, it would make life easier if one brand was best. . . not to be. Fit is the largest variable for a warm wet suit. If there are 20 "brands" of suits, they have 20 different patterns they use to cut each size of suit. The "simple" test is to try on all 20 patterns to see which pattern is closest to your size.

Using a 7mm suit, the poorer the fit, the greater the discomfort. Try on every brand of suit available to you, and buy only if it is a very good fit. Many manufacturers will customize areas of their suits. . . or go with a full custom suit, it will be more comfortable and it will be much warmer. Custom suits are not a lot more expensive than the box suits, and the companies I've used are delivered in a couple of weeks, about the same time, if your dive shop has to order a suit.

Something new to me. . . some companies are offering a "semi" dry suit for a price higher than a wetsuit, but less than a dry suit. Check around your area to see if that is available to you. A week before my 1st custom suit arrived, my partner and I lasted about 45 minutes in 45 degree water. A week later, with a new custom suit we were down about 60 minutes and my partner was hypothermic, and I was warm, and would have continued longer, but not with a shaking partner. . .

Is there a custom wetsuit shop that you would reccomend? I have googled quite a few, but they are a bit hard to differentiate. Also, any idea what the price range is on a custom 7mm? The sites that I see listed do not have any prices or even estimates listed. Seeing as a dive almost exclusively in very cold water, anything that will keep me warmer longer is something I want.

I have also seen the semi-dry suits, but have not been able to find out much as to what they are or the benefits they offer. I will probably call a shop that has them listed and find out more about them.

Thanks,

Tom

I have a 7mm ScubaPro and a 7mm Bare. The Bare fits my body type better, so it is my default 7mm, although both are fine suits. The Bare also has a 5mm jacket that just fits nicely over the suit, so if I need a little extra insulation, I've got it.

I have tried the Pinnacle 7mm, with the rolled collar and it is really fantastic. It is the only wetsuit I have used that I've actually felt too warm in --although that is partially because it was too much suit for the conditions. I have to say, if I was in the market for a new suit, I'd probably get a pinnacle.

As has been mentioned, finding a suit that fits your body may be more important than the actual make of the suit. If you are in conditions that warrant a thick wesuit, and you don't want a dry suit, you may want to consider a custom made wetsuit.

Jeff

Fit is parmount.

Bare has a huge size selection hence a good shot at the right fit. They are also an exceptional value.

If you can swing a little more $$ like Jeff I hear good things about Pinnacle.

I would consider ditching the hood for one integrated with a layering vest.

To read my long answer click here.

Pete

x2 on the Bare. Bare has a very large range of sizes, making it easy to get a really good fit. It's also a very well made suit, so it holds up well over time. My 7mm Arctic does a good job of keeping me warm.

I have also seen the semi-dry suits, but have not been able to find out much as to what they are or the benefits they offer. I will probably call a shop that has them listed and find out more about them.
Thanks,
Tom

The best cold water "wetsuit" is a dry suit :)

Semi dry suit has seals on legs. arms and the neck so the water movement is restricted. My friend when he dives semi dry puts some warm water inside .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom