why so mean..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

online21

Registered
Reaction score
in todays economy everyone is looking for a deal, save money, cut corners.
so why is it that when I see a great deal/offer either here or say on ebay, craigslist or just my neighbor selling some gear. that after I purchase it, I go to my local LDS and ask them to check it out for me they get so bent out of shape and become rude to me...
then after some time has past, I go back and want to take some advanced courses and Im told that since I won't support my LDS they are not able to offer me that course..what load of BS is that...

if I was a master diver moving from FL, to say VA and needed service would I be put to the curb there also for not buying in VA?

why would I ever spend $3,000.00 to $5,000.00 at a LDS, when I could spend $2,000.00 to $3,000.00 here, and get treated like crud from the LDS..
now I know I will never go back to them for they have shown me there true colors.
I will make it a point to go out of town for all my work and give my money to someone else.

what was it.....kindness kills..

Why not just hand it to them with a dumb look and say, "Service it please".

Take off the tags from the Salvation Army Store, the yard sale sticky price tags and the eBay transaction shipping summary.

Or did they beat it out of you as to where you got that Conshelf regulator?

Next time say, "My uncle gave it to me".

Rubbing someone's nose in the fact that they got beat out of a sale for $1 or $50 is ill advised.

what was it.... ignorance is bliss.

in todays economy everyone is looking for a deal, save money, cut corners.
so why is it that when I see a great deal/offer either here or say on ebay, craigslist or just my neighbor selling some gear. that after I purchase it, I go to my local LDS and ask them to check it out for me they get so bent out of shape and become rude to me...
then after some time has past, I go back and want to take some advanced courses and Im told that since I won't support my LDS they are not able to offer me that course..what load of BS is that...

if I was a master diver moving from FL, to say VA and needed service would I be put to the curb there also for not buying in VA?

why would I ever spend $3,000.00 to $5,000.00 at a LDS, when I could spend $2,000.00 to $3,000.00 here, and get treated like crud from the LDS..
now I know I will never go back to them for they have shown me there true colors.
I will make it a point to go out of town for all my work and give my money to someone else.

what was it.....kindness kills..

There is almost never an excuse for the shop being mean spirited or rude to a customer who brings them work. (I had to change the never to an almost. I have run into a couple of exceptions.) Unfortunately it does happen. The best thing to do is what you say you're going to do. Change to a different shop. Just remember, if you buy equipment from a neighbor, craigslist or ebay and ask the shop to check it out. Don't be mean spirited or rude when they tell you how much the checkout fee is.

What did you expect? LDS's are in the business of selling equipment. The service business won't keep the ligihts on and classes don't make a lot of money either. Buying used equipment or equipment via the Internet takes food off their table. Did you think they would be happy for you?

Some shops get over it and are grateful for the business they do get. Others are run by relatively poor businessmen who don't understand that every dollar they get is a dollar they got.

If you walk in to a shop where you have done no business, just ask them to service your gear. Don't tell them where you got it. If necessary, tell them your neighbor gave it to you. It does no good to tell them "Boy, did I get a deal on this from eBay". Tell them no more than they absolutely need to know. You want it repaired and you have the money to pay for it. That's all.

The diving industry has a lot of poor business people. That's the problem with sole-proprietorships; you really are taking food off their table. They're not always happy about it.

Richard

you are right.....
but I was not trying to rub there nose in it...he was really nice about it asking all sorts of questions and it just slipped out.

I understand that perfectly......so how much are check-out fees?

You didn't say if the cost you show is for 1 set of gear or for 2 or more sets. If it's for 1 set then those prices are quite high for new or used gear. Perhaps you're including a dry suit and twin tanks in that cost but you don't mention that nor have you completed your profile so no clue can be gleamed from that.

The LDS would have every right, and probably should charge you for checking out each piece of the gear you want checked out.

Regarding their attitude toward you, my guess is that it was a reaction to the attitude you gave them.

Kindness can win friends as long as you are preceived as sincere and not using it to achieve an undue advantage.

I understand that perfectly......so how much are check-out fees?

Those will vary by shop. Many shops have a written policy, No bench checks. So they are probably not going to test it in any shape form or fashion. My checkout fee for someone bringing in a reg that wasn't bought at an authorized dealer, is a full rebuild. Period. Those prices vary according to what service kits I need, reg manufacturer, how dirty the reg is, etc. I wouldn't be rude or mean spirited but I also won't give you a quantity discount because you're getting 2 stages done either.

What Lead carrier said, plus if you really are in FL they need to realize that there is probably another dive shop within 10 to 20 miles that you could take your gear to for service.

What does that particular LDS expect, that you sign your name in blood on a contract and only use their shop?! And if you do, is there a continuing discount on all gear purchases / service in the future?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom