Flying...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Easy questions for all you diver/pilots. Layman's answers appreciated.: You're in the "pressurized" cabin on a commercial flight (after diving, or not). What is the pressure of the air you are breathing? It's obviously not 1 bar/ata, as you wouldn't have to worry about flying after diving--also, it would get used up real quick with all those people. Is air somehow vented into the plane from outside, and thus at a lower pressure than sea level? If so, why would you need those 02 masks that flop down during a rapid descent--would not the amount of oxygen (02pp) you're breathing increase as the plane goes down? So, my last question is why do they call it a "pressurized' cabin?--Does it just mean the plane is tightly sealed (except for vents for outside air) so you wouldn't say, get sucked out an open window?

I'm not 100% sure on the pressure, but I believe it's about the equivalent to being at like 10,000 feet. And the really part is that the air just circulates which is why planes are little more than just flying germ boxes. One person coughs and everyone else gets to breath it.

Uh-huh. Coming back from the Keys a couple weeks ago some female coughed all the way from Orlando to Ohio. I thought sure that I'd end up with a cold or something. Lucked out and didn't get it.

Yes, the cabin is pressurized.

You're cruising at 33,000 feet above sea level, give or take (10,000 metres). The pressure outside the metal tube containing you is about three-tenths of a standard atmosphere. That's equivalent to standing on the summit of The Mother of the World (Chomolungma, a.k.a. Mount Everest).

The interior of your metal survival suit is pressurized to about three-quarters of a standard atmosphere. That air has to be pumped in under pressure. And heated, of course. Air is cycled as needed, with outside air introduced to keep things tidy. But it costs money (fuel) to heat that new air, so the company gets to draw a benefit/cost line.

Should the craft lose pressure, anyone who's still offgassing from recent dives might not be a happy traveller. That's regardless of cabin pressure goal. Even if the cabin were pressurize to one full atmosphere, are you willing to take the chance that cabin pressure won't somhow fall to the point that you will experience DCS symptoms? A rare occurence, granted. We each get to make the risk vs. reward calculation when deciding whether to squeeze in one last dive on the morning before our evening flight.

The masks will deliver three to five minutes of oxygen max, in the case of sudden decompression. This is all you have but it's enough for the crew to drop safely to around 10,000 feet where the air is thick enough to breathe. I have spent time at 17,000 f.a.s.l. without supplemental oxygen. I was surprised how quickly energetic action became difficult. Hence the pure oxygen, so passengers can understand and respond to crew orders. That's my theory, anyway. I suspect the controlling agency (FAA?) has a different take on this.

I'm not a pilot but I have taught scuba to some, and regularly buddy up on trips with others. I like the way they think, they way they plan dives, their general composure in the face of delays and snafus. I have learned a lot about diving by talking to pilots about flying.

-Bryan

Commercial airliners are pressurized to about 8,000 feet normally.

If I remember correctly, and I probably don't, it's about 8-10K feet.

Anything above 10K feet for ten minutes requires O2.

Some of you more current aviators jump in here and correct me if I've erred . . . it's been 41 years since I took my flight training. Some things are starting to grow a bit murky.

the K-olsman Factor

I had always been told 8,000 feet. That is one reason you get tired on lone flights - you are beathing 75% of the normal ppO2 for an extended period of time.

I remember once when I was having my usual "flying after diving" argument with someone, I was saying that the lower partial pressure at 8,000 was so small that unless you were massively loaded with nitrogen, it was extremely unlikely to cause a problem (and the airlines solved that problem for us by making us check in at least two hours ahead of departure - thanks guys!). They countered by saying: "what if a window blew out and you suffered massive depressurisation?" to which my slightly sanguine response was that I would probably have bigger worries than a DCS hit at that stage, but at least I would have my O2 on hand!

The standard you can count on these days is 8,000ft. It used to be 10k, but since the passenger population changed, and the less physically fit had more difficulty with 10k, they lowered the standard. Some newer planes will pressurize to 6,000 ft, but you would only know that if you ask someone as you board. Not good for planning your DCS prevention plan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom