Have you ever been entangled?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Afakasi

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Entanglement seems to be a primary diving hazard, but my OW textbook really fails to mention anything about it. It mentions that a diver's tool (knife) is "very handy" to free yourself in case you become ensnared and for tapping on your cylinder to get your buddy's attention. It never really even stresses that a diver's tool is a critical piece of equipment (although I just assumed I would always carry one).

I was thinking that if my certified dive buddy from my OW class and I decided to rent some gear and go dive in my local lake, we would really just have to figure out what to do on the spot if one or both of us were to become entangled.

I imagine that the thing to do would be to stop, get your breathing under control, think, and then act in a calm and non-panicked manner. Seems easy enough (right), but I am sure this can be very difficult to do under the stress of entanglement - especially if the stress was compounded by other problems such as having your mask knocked off, your air supply knocked from your mouth, or losing contact with your buddy.

So my questions for you are: Have you ever been Entangled? What was the progression of how it happened, and how did you react? and: What advice would you give to a recently certified OW diver about entanglement?

I've been entangled several times ... it's not a big deal as long as you remember to stop and think through the problem before trying to act.

The most "natural" thing to do is try to untangle yourself. In some cases, this will be simple as long as you act deliberately and not hastily. In other cases, the simplest thing to do is to get your buddy's attention and to cease all motion while they work at getting you untangled.

The last time I got myself entangled that's what I had to do. I was diving a wall, taking pictures of nudibranchs when I noticed that kicking didn't move me anywhere. It was like trying to move against a strong current ... except that there wasn't any. Looking up, I noticed a steel leader stretched tight as a piano wire disappearing into the murk above me. I stopped, got my buddy's attention, and pointed behind my head. She moved in, gave me the "hold" signal (a closed fist), and I hung there for a minute while she disentangled me. When she was done, there was an amazing coil of steel leader that had gotten wrapped around my rig. I swam up as high as I dared and cut it with shears, allowing it to drop down the wall ... which went well below any depths that divers are likely to want to go. Then we continued our dive.

Advice ... stop. Analyze the problem. Signal your buddy first ... so they don't keep kicking away from you. Unless it's easily reached, signal for them to come help you get free. Don't "spin" around trying to figure it out yourself ... that's a great way to turn a minor annoyance into a significant problem.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Entanglement seems to be a primary diving hazard, but my OW textbook really fails to mention anything about it. It mentions that a diver's tool (knife) is "very handy" to free yourself in case you become ensnared and for tapping on your cylinder to get your buddy's attention. It never really even stresses that a diver's tool is a critical piece of equipment (although I just assumed I would always carry one).

I was thinking that if my certified dive buddy from my OW class and I decided to rent some gear and go dive in my local lake, we would really just have to figure out what to do on the spot if one or both of us were to become entangled.

I imagine that the thing to do would be to stop, get your breathing under control, think, and then act in a calm and non-panicked manner. Seems easy enough (right), but I am sure this can be very difficult to do under the stress of entanglement - especially if the stress was compounded by other problems such as having your mask knocked off, your air supply knocked from your mouth, or losing contact with your buddy.

So my questions for you are: Have you ever been Entangled? What was the progression of how it happened, and how did you react? and: What advice would you give to a recently certified OW diver about entanglement?

Carry more than one cutting tool and attach a lanyard to both as the possibility of dropping a cutting tool in a entanglement situation would be disasterous. I will let the more experienced divers tell you more.

Here is a one good product:

http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=7

I get hung up in kelp from time to time. Like Bob said, let your buddy know and they can free you. However, don't forget it is also your responsibility to watch for signs of entanglement on your buddy as well.

Yes, many times. Bob's advice is spot on. I would just add that there are times when your gear snags things, it can be a hose that's not secured, a loop of a hose, a tank valve, etc. It's almost always in an area that is difficult or impossible for you to see. When this happens, it's very nice when you feel your buddy tugging a little, then giving you a pat on the shoulder followed by the OK sign.

Yes, many times. Bob's advice is spot on. I would just add that there are times when your gear snags things, it can be a hose that's not secured, a loop of a hose, a tank valve, etc. It's almost always in an area that is difficult or impossible for you to see. When this happens, it's very nice when you feel your buddy tugging a little, then giving you a pat on the shoulder followed by the OK sign.

That is a nice feeling

Entanglement is just a regular part of our diving. We seem to get hung up on about anything and everything and most of the time we are alone.

I agree with about everything said above. If you keep a cool head, think about what has happened, put a release plan together and act on that plan you will do just fine. Sometimes it is just a matter of a simple cut or snip here and there. Other times it may require the removal of your gear and a lot of work. But it doesn't matter if you practice the "Xaler" method and keep a cool head throughout the entire process.

Gary D.

Also a few times but never any problems. A couple times with fishing line that was easy enough to cut myself out of. Once I got my tank valve tangled in some sight lines as I was peering into a hole in an UW building. I knew the lines were there but drifted up a few inches into them. As soon as I felt the line prevent me from descending I spopped moving. I signaled to my wife/buddy and she untangled me. I could have easily cut the lines but did not want to do that.

Usually fishing line, sometimes kelp. I carry OMS titanium line cutter, shears, and small blunt end knife. For fishing line, one can also use a small z-knife, which is simply plastic with small razor blade. If you have to cut behind, a knife is not terribly helpful, or very safe.

Since kelp is buoyant, notmally easiest to simply untangle. If you dive in kelp, practice getting tangled, then getting out of it, without cutting. Builds confidence.

Shears is probably most useful of them all, and cheap too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom