New to spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What ever pointers I could get would be great. I purchased a 52 sea hornet w/ line. Should I start w/ line or free shaft. I've heard of getting line tangles. Whatever advise would be appeciated

Being new to the sport I would probably recommend line shafting as you are probably going to miss a few shots. I have never had a problem with my line tangling up, and I have not seen it happen to often. The only other thing I would recommend, like other sports, spearfish as often as you can. There is no substitute for experience. And make sure whatever you shoot looks bigger than the size limits, only shoot what you intend to eat. I have seen people kill for the thrill and there is no sport in that.

I just received my copy on saturday, it's great. It will probably answer all of your questions and some you didn't know enough to ask.

www.SpearosGuide.com

Two books I would suggest to anyone freediving or even diving would be:
Freediver! By: Terry Maas and David Sipperly
BlueWater Hunting and Freediving By: Terry Maas

Both are excellent books I think everyone should have one in their homes.

Lines can be a PITA but not when you practice and of course if you have reel you are more than likely going to have more line than most.
Start off with just enough line to be able to handle your gun and fish without getting tangled.
Free shafting is the best I think but right now I have a reel on mine. It is about to come off. It is summer baby and the waters are warm and I'm going spearing.:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom