HELP wanted!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubbles01

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I really need some advice!

I have a new wet suit (Scubapro Everflex) - when I bought it I was told it was a seperior fabric and a lot more comfortable to wear and easier to put on. However, I have just come back from Jamaica where I experienced terrible prickly heat on my forearms from my wrist to 3/4 of the way up my forearm - just where the tight rubber seal is. (This seal gripped my arms so tightly that when I tried to peal it off after a dive it felt like removing and plaster and literally pulled my skin up with it.) It seems strange that I didn't have the prickly heat anywhere else on my body and that it was exactly where the seals were. (There are seals on the ankles but these were always bunched up due to my very short legs so didn't seal and didn't cause me a problem.) I wanted to know if anyone else has had prickly heat with this or any other suits?

If you have had problems with suits causing prickly heat are there any suggestions you can make regarding a better wet suit or a way of avoiding it? I am pretty desperate as the itching was very extreme and marred my holiday - it felt like my skin on my arms was crawling the whole time and I got no sleep at all. I am willing to buy a whole new suit if necessary, even though this is a new one or may be an exposure suit or something to wear under it - again any suggestions would be gratefully recieved.

On this subject I have also wondered about getting a suit specially made for me as I have such short legs and the legs literally bunch which is very uncomfortable. If the knee pads are in the correct place I have to have it all baggy around the ankles as the legs are physically too long by a couple of inches. Has anyone had any experience of buying a custom made wetsuit and what sort of costs am I looking at?

If you are someone who has suffered with this condition - have you got any advice to avoid it or treat it when it happens? I have tried hydrocortizone (sp) cream to no effect. I even tried quadrupaling (sp) the amount of anti-hystimines recommended I was that desperate - I have never felt such awfull symptoms ever before - the itching was soooo intense. I do not want this to put me off going to tropical countries but at the time I was ready to jump on the first plane home!!!

Thank you in advance to anyone answering my questions or giving me advice - I am so grateful for your contributions. :)

Regards,

Ingrid

I wear lycra shorts under my wetsuit (similar to biking or "compression" shorts). I once had a pair of these things that must have been waaaaay too snug, because I experienced the same thing you have. I got rid of that pair and it hasn't happened since. I can only surmise that the over-constriction irritates the blood vessels under the skin and causes a itchy-prickly reaction.

You're a bit to far from my shop to realy help.:D

But you just might be alergic to the neoprene(smooth)skin.Try to find one with a fabric layer.
As for the customsize,maybe better to get a rebuilt on a suit of the rack.(shortening the legs,cheaper then a real custom fit.

Hope it helps.

Bubbles,

Which exact suit did you buy? There are several models that use the Everflex material.

For example, the 6.5mm Nova Scotia suit is made of different material on the inside that is very scratchy on your skin.

I'm guessing that the rubber seal is what has caused the issue for you. You may be allergic to the material that is used. If the seal was too tight you wouldn't get a burning sensation but more of a tingling sensation of your arm going to sleep from lack of good circulation.

I've seen people on the boat who had to have help getting in and out of their wetsuit. To me, this is retarded. If it doesn't go on and off easily it is the wrong size.

I've seen people on the boat who had to have help getting in and out of their wetsuit. To me, this is retarded. If it doesn't go on and off easily it is the wrong size.

In a semi-dry Scuba Pro suit it would not be uncommon to have difficulty getting it off. The rubber seals do stick to the skin and are an extension of the sleeves that you roll up in a way. That makes the total length of your arms nearly double the length of a normal wet suit. Add the length with the rubber on skin and it takes a bit more time to get on/off.

Each suit is a little different so I can't say that you're right or wrong. I can say that I do agree that if people can't get a suit on/off it may not be the right size but there are some cases where the design of the suit makes it difficult to get on/off (the better the seal the less water that gets in).

Not sure what the exact make is the only markings on it are Scubapro Everflex 312. I think I may go back to our local dive shop (who sold it to me) tomorrow and talk to them about the different possiblities. I need to get something worked out before we go to Marsa Alam in September. The idea of getting an 'off the peg' one altered sounds a good one as well as getting an alternative material to the rubber seals. I do think it seems way to tight at the wrists, it is really big around the chest area and as I say far too long on the legs - mind you I have such short legs and am only 5 foot 1. Thank you so much for the suggestions. :)

By the way it isn't a semi-dry it is on a 3mil wet suit.

:shocked2: That one is just WAAAAy to small :depressed:

So you do need a bigger size and have it rebuilt/customized.
Forget about custom made on a 3 mm.not worth the money.

You could try to find one with zippers on wrists and ankles.

I assume you went with the female model, but try the male size these usually have wider sleeves

Back
Top Bottom