Private Dive Master... tip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parzdiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On a typical dive boat, I will typically tip $10 per tank. More or less depending on level of service. I am about to go on vacation and am going on two private trips.

For these charters, we are paying an amount for the boat and a captain, and then a separate fee for private guided tours with a dive master. That fee also includes the tanks and weights.

In a situation like this, since we are already directly paying the DM, is there an expectation or precedence for tipping above and beyond that?

Thanks.

Thanks for the replies. I did start with a search and scanned through the many threads, but didn't find a situation similar to this where I am paying the DM directly for their services rather than paying for the trip. I know many of the DM's in the Caribbean make their living from tips, but in this case, they are getting money directly.

Two of us asked for a DM to dive with us on the Oriskany (on his day off). He was happy with fifty bucks for two dives. Let's not to be too cheap folks.

gotcha . . .

I would say, from my stand point ONLY, if they charged say 50.00 as Garrobo got charged, and I thought they did a FREAKING AWESOME job, maybe I would offer lunch/dinner to them as they are technically the "business owner" . . .

I can't find the post I read in the last couple days that talked about not tipping the "owner" as they are the ones that set the price. . . . It was a good post too . . .

Thanks Garrobo and LB. Appreciate the opinions.

I wouldn't tip a private DM unless (s)he's really doing a great job.

You're already paying for their services.

For these charters, we are paying an amount for the boat and a captain, and then a separate fee for private guided tours with a dive master. That fee also includes the tanks and weights.

Did you book the DM through DM him/herself or through the dive charter operation? If through the dive op the DM is probably not getting 100% of what you're paying, especially if the fee also included tanks, weights, etc.

Did you book the DM through DM him/herself or through the dive charter operation? If through the dive op the DM is probably not getting 100% of what you're paying, especially if the fee also included tanks, weights, etc.

These aren't dive ops, but private charter boats with captain. The trips were booked through the DM. We met her through a dive op last year when we got our AOW. She is now independent and works with these boats.

Back
Top Bottom