DiveMaster Tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

upton75

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello How are you? I am going on my first dive trip to Mexico and was wondering what is a good tip for the divemaster's on a boat in Cozumel?

Thanks
Ryan

Most people use $5/tank as their base for tips. Go up from there depending on good service, a dive op that provides extra conveniences, etc., if you wanted or needed extra attention...

ScubaWife is spot on. I just wanted to add, don't forget pics and have a great time :)

Hello How are you? I am going on my first dive trip to Mexico and was wondering what is a good tip for the divemaster's on a boat in Cozumel?

Thanks
Ryan

$5/tank on the cattle boats and $8-10/tank on the boats with under 10 passengers.

$5/tank on the cattle boats and $8-10/tank on the boats with under 10 passengers.

A $20 tip for a $55 two tank dive trip is certainly generous, but tip what you feel is appropriate; you'll see a lot of variation. Many folks do not tip at all.

deepstops:
Just trying to figure out why you think the size of boat matters?

Tipping is a personal thing and everyone has their own criteria. I don't really understand why the number of divers or size of the boat would have any bearing on the tip.

I tip based on the service and amenities, not the number of passengers on the boat. You can have 6 packs from $55-95 and service ranges from little more then a ride, a DM and a bottle of water up to "valet diving" with the shop washing and storing gear, providing water, juice, soda, snacks, fruit, towels, beach SI's, etc. To me they sure don't warrant the same tip.

If you get to know your divemaster and make return trips, there are often things you can bring that are appreciated (though actual money is the still the most useful thing you can give). For example, the guy we most like to dive with is fond of the maple syrup made down the road from me, so we bring a jug each trip.

We belong to the "$5 per tank per person" camp. The tip is usually given to the captain to share out among the "crew" (often just the captain and the DM on the boats we go on).

$10 per trip is what I feel is fair - some tip nothing - personal choice

Tip each day as crews can change if you are doing multi days w/ the same op

I once received an Ice Cream Sandwich as a tip while being a DM in Cozumel. I can assure you that tip was not appreciated! $5, $10, whatever you feel comfortable giving. Also, please don't forget the boat captains as they are the ones following your bubbles and picking you up - much appreciated and often overlooked in the tipping department!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom