Labeling Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sias

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am fairly new to diving (received OW 2 months ago), and brand new to these boards. I have begun picking up the gear I need for my AOW course (2 weeks to go :D), and I just can't seem to find a good way to label my gear.

What kind of markers or paint do you guys use to label your gear with? I've tried a permanent marker and it continually wears off; I haven't tried any paints yet. Do certain paints ruin neoprene? Will certain paints work better on the Tank?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

I am fairly new to diving (received OW 2 months ago), and brand new to these boards. I have begun picking up the gear I need for my AOW course (2 weeks to go :D), and I just can't seem to find a good way to label my gear.

What kind of markers or paint do you guys use to label your gear with? I've tried a permanent marker and it continually wears off; I haven't tried any paints yet. Do certain paints ruin neoprene? Will certain paints work better on the Tank?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

White-Out works well, as do many of the commercially available fabric paints/markers.

Permanent markers work well on tanks.

Last edited:
Ah, white-out, I didn't even think of that, Thanks for the input!

I use whatever will stick to the surface of what I'm labeling.
Some of the things I have used for labeling include:
There is a product called Liquid Embroidery that works well on fabrics.
I use double sided carpet tape with plastic (heavy garbage bags) on one side. I stencil the material and then stick it on my tanks. I never have had to replace it.
Laundry Markers also work well.
I also use a dremmel to put my name on things like wreck reels and lights.

I bought one of these in white about five years ago. All of my gear is still clearly marked more than 80 dives later.

good suggestions, Trident also has a marking paint for dive gear, works good on neoprene, not so well and metal and fins

I marked a set of fins with a Sharpie in 1992, and over 200 dives and unknown hours in chlorine pool teaching, it is still somewhat vizable......

I bought a silver paint-pen from Staples that works great. (on anything that isn't silver already)

Check your local hobby/crafts shop. (Scrapbooking is big in Indiana, isn't it?) Paint pens available there are cheap and work well. You'll have to reapply the markings over time, though.

When I travelled to the Philippines eary this year to visit family and dive, my brother (also a diver) gave me a sheet of sticker labels with my name printed on it. These sticker labels were made from 3M industrial stickers like the same ones they use for vehicle license plate tags when you renew your registration every year. These stickers are really tough and very difficult to take off. They're printed so that they come in different sizes (small, medium, large). Large ones for large gear, and small ones for masks, regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom