Navigation....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Space

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a brain fart question here....

Is there anyway you can find you start point with out tracking your route from the start point...

Example: I start at point a and swim around for awhile. How do I get back to the place I started with out counting swim kicks and exact direction.....

I know I know I need to take a navigation course....But I've dove with some pretty experienced divers and we've been off course several times.....

Fire away I can take it.......

And Brian no word from you...:eek:

To me, that's probably the hardest part in diving.

Yes, you can count your fin kicks, but that's going to be boring very quickly.

The best way, IMO, is a combination of focusing on your environment, checking your dive time, and using your compas. The more you know a dive site, the easier it gets, obviously.

Best is, as always, to practice.

Know "generally" where you are going and use a lot of landmarks. That way, if you get close, you can spot the landmark and know you are there.

Of course, in zero vis this becomes problematic. You can use a strobe to help out (leaving it on your point of origin - anchor line, whatever) or one of those homing doohickeys..

I'd rather surface swim than count fin kicks...ugh

Natural navigation in combination with compass navigation is really the best way to do it. Often a compass is useless on a wreck, since you can navigate around the wreck without it (and because large iron objects have a tendency to screw up compasses). If shore diving, I find that I try to look for specific large rocks, or formations. Note your starting depth, so when you return, you'll know if you are even in the vicinity. If you are in the sand, you will always know which way shore is since the ripples in the sand run parallel to the shoreline.

Those are my navigation tips...not that I don't end up doing the swim of shame quite often!

O-ring beat me to it... I was going to ask about limited viz.. most of the diving I do is very limited...

Blue Space once bubbled...
O-ring beat me to it... I was going to ask about limited viz.. most of the diving I do is very limited...
Sometimes the boats we dive on will place one down there, but if the vis is really bad we always run a reel tied off to a point NEAR, but not attached to, the anchorline..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom