Overfilling Scuba Cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UCFKnightDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is it ok to fill scuba cylinders, specifically steel cylinders, I have heard of people filling LP cylinders (service pressure 2400) to 3600 and sometimes even 4200. Is this safe?

This question from you?

Just feel like trolling huh?

He is not trolling.. Fact is it is done every day in cave country. 3 weeks ago a friend had LP95's filled to 3800. Valid question!!

Defintely not I was serious about that question! :shocked2:

This is discussed ENDLESSLY over in the Tanks forum.

It is a violation of Federal law (DOT regulations - somewhere in 49 CFR 173) to overfill a tank. Nevertheless, cave divers know metallurgy and stress analysis far better than tank designers so they do it anyway.

What should happen is that DOT stings all the shops in Florida and puts an end to this practice once and for all. But they probably have other things to do: coffee breaks, long lunches, retirement planning, etc.

Richard

The pressure stamped on the tank, is the legal limit, kind of like speed limit on highways. The DOT, department of transportation, can be involved, if you cross state lines. And like speeding cars, when an accident happens, law breakers, get very close attention from the courts. If you or anyone else over fills a tank, the injured parties will speak of "reckless" "criminal" and other things that lawyers like to use.

Do whatever you like, just accept the consequences.

i regularly fill my alum 80s to 4000 psi.

It turns them into a 106 cuft tank. Much longer dives.

Just dont forget to double disk or put in plugs!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom