How long to fly after Thai liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doonkin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone.
Im doing 4 days on a liveaboard in the Similans around xmas this year. I did this before 10 years ago. I dont go beyond openwater n get my advanced as I like to hang with the dive master - vacation diver I guess.

My Q is...How long should I wait to fly? there will be 14 dives - I have a Dcomputer-my last dive is prob around 2pm on the 22nd of dec- then I fly out of Phuket at 8pm on the 23rd. That'll be 24+ right???
I mean its not like im taking a long haul - its 1.5 hours to singapore. I want to be safe-I have twin babies now. If it means sacrificing the last 2 dives on the last day then I might do that - I will prob be knackered anyway.

Any thoughts would help.

ps - im 41 - sorta fit - never had a prob before - dive in spurts (10 in a row then a year off). I dont push it (i.e. I will hang at or above dive master depth) - this is the first time I will use a Dcomputer as this is the first time ive worried about such things.

The length of the flight doesn't matter.

24 hours is long enough to wait. Do not wait less than 18 hours. Longer is better.

The current PADI guidelines for flying after diving are quoted below

For Dives within the No-Decompression Limits

Single Dives - A minimum preflight surface interval of 12 hours is suggested.

Repetitive Dives and/or Multiday Dives - A minimum preflight surface interval of
18 hours is suggested.

For Dives Requiring Decompression Stops

A minimum preflight surface interval greater than 18 hours is suggested.

Flying after diving recommendations need not be considered for flights to ambient/cabin pressures less than 600 metres/2000 feet.

R..

Diver0001 has quoted the PADI policy. Your computer may give you more or less than this. I would recommend folliowing whichever (PADI tables/policy or computer) gave you the longest.

Without wanting to sound patronizing... if you need to ask this question, maybe it is advisable that you brush up on your diving theory before departing for the trip?

Quote:Without wanting to sound patronizing... if you need to ask this question, maybe it is advisable that you brush up on your diving theory before departing for the trip?[/I][/I][/I]

I already knew its technically a 18-24 hour wait -and at the time I will check my comp w the charts and the divemasters. Im just a little older now w a few more responsibilities n wanted to know what people think about flying right AT that that 24 hour mark.

BTW, I am taking a refresher AND refreshing table knowledge right now.

BBTW, Thats not patronizing - thx for the safety first headsup

I dove from a liveaboard around the Similans back in '88. It was some of the most beautiful diving I have ever done. You're going to have a blast!

Richard

Loss of nitrogen from you body is divided into different "compartments". The compartment with the longest half life is figured on being 120 minutes or 2 hours. That means that 18 hours is 9 half lifes. After 6 half lifes, your body should have something like only 1/512 of its initial nitrogen left. That works out to be about .2%. Now that is something taken from theory. But it looks to me as if 18 hours has an abundant safety factor built in. You should be OK even if you came up on your last dive nearly bent.

Flight times also don't really matter. The fast compartments will begin to release nitrogen faster than you can exhale it pretty much immediately after ascending to a higher altitude.

At least, that's what I hope the DM manual meant.

Loss of nitrogen from you body is divided into different "compartments". The compartment with the longest half life is figured on being 120 minutes or 2 hours. That means that 18 hours is 9 half lifes. After 6 half lifes, your body should have something like only 1/512 of its initial nitrogen left. That works out to be about .2%. Now that is something taken from theory. But it looks to me as if 18 hours has an abundant safety factor built in. You should be OK even if you came up on your last dive nearly bent.

There are actually slower compartments than the 120. When the US Navy revisited its tables a few decades ago, it added the 120 compartment as the slowest one. Since then, different theorists have added longer ones.

Still, I agree that 18 hours should be fine.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to Basic Scuba.

Back
Top Bottom