Help Stop the Spread of Burmese Pythons in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives

September 2, 2009
Dear Editor:
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) initiated a program on July 17 to help stop the spread of Burmese pythons in Florida. This program is only the first step in our efforts to stop the spread of these invaders.
We issued permits to 13 python experts to capture and euthanize any reptile of concern found in specific state-managed lands in South Florida. This initial program will run until Oct. 31, at which time we will consider expanding it. So far, the permit holders have captured 17 pythons and provided us with data on location, size and habits.
We are encouraged that the permit holders have captured that many pythons. Each python removed means one less python in the wild and one less python with the potential to reproduce 100 eggs in a season. While there are thousands of pythons in South Florida, the majority of the population occurs in Everglades National Park, which is not a part of our permit program.
The state-managed lands where pythons may be captured under this new permit program represent the northern-most range for Burmese pythons. To destroy even one of these nonnative invasive reptiles is a victory in the battle to stop the spread of pythons elsewhere in Florida.
We anticipate many more pythons will be captured as the weather cools and pythons come out to sun themselves during the day.
But we haven’t limited our python removal efforts to the 13 experts; we’ve expanded them to include hunters. It’s a natural step because, historically, hunters have been instrumental in conserving wildlife across this great country. Beginning with the first hunt of the 2009-2010 season, hunters on specific wildlife management areas in South Florida may take any reptile of concern they encounter during the course of their hunting excursion. If it’s archery season, they may take a python with a bow and arrow and any other instrument that’s legal to posses on the area during that season. If it’s muzzleloader season, they may use that type of gun to take the species. This special order, issued by the FWC’s executive director, includes alligator hunters on these state-managed areas.
We are asking the hunters to provide information about any reptiles of concern they kill in order to compile more complete information about the species.
Burmese pythons have invaded our native habitat, at least partly, because of people releasing them into the wild. We urge people with an exotic nonnative pet they can no longer keep, to turn in the reptile at Pet Amnesty Days held around the state. The next one is scheduled for Nov. 7 in the Tampa area. No matter what – never release a nonnative animal into the wild.
The FWC takes its responsibility for managing fish and wildlife seriously, and our priority always will be protection and conservation of native species. The difficult challenges already facing native wildlife – habitat loss and human population increases – are compounded by the threat of Burmese pythons being loose in the wild.
Discussions are continuing on how best to manage the Burmese python problem, and the FWC is dedicated to working with all of our partners – Everglades National Park, Big Cypress National Preserve, South Florida Water Management District and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service – through special programs, scientific efforts and legislative action. Our mission of managing fish and wildlife resources for their long-term well-being and the benefit of people is clearly shown in our dedication and new programs to stop the spread of all nonnative species in Florida.

Sincerely,

Rodney Barreto
Chairman
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
620 South Meridian Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-1600
Email: Commissioners@MyFWC.com
Phone: 850-487-3796

Last edited:
Please feel free to use the e-mail link and tell Commisioner Barreto that you support this. Please don't forget to tell him where you read about it either! :D

This snake thing is too much. I don't mind snakes that - not even sea snakes when they used to curl around my arms, but this python stuff is getting too much. I still remember the picture of the snake that burst after it ate a gator. Geez.

Now this is also in light of the Comcast guy getting bit by a green mamba in Broward county a couple of weeks ago. Nasty, wicked snake - the black mamba in Africa actually chases natives and then bites 'em. Always fatal too.
There is no record of the green mamba purchase so how it got to Hollywood is unknown.

So I needed turtle food for my pond guys and went into the reptile store in Deerfield Beach. In the back far corner are the venemous critters. Now maybe there are people who feel the need to have a pet cottonmouth. Ok, go for it. But then they had spitting cobras which can spit yer eye out at 10'.
Now what exactly is the need for this?

Of course, there is a plethora of constrictors in the store, and the little boas are gorgeous little guys. They had an 8' or so albino python in there for a while. Drop-dead beautiful snake. GREAT house pet for someone in the Altamonte Springs (Orlando area) at least for a little while until the rats run out.

Good luck to the snake hunters in the Everglades. I shudder to think what some of the hammocks are going to like in a couple of years.

They actually sell cottonmouths as pets? Ughh... I just killed one last month for my neighbor, who found one in her yard.

I fully support the FWC stance on pythons. I know I will keep an eye out this season when I'm hunting!

I personally think its a joke, They act like they are concerned about the python population but arnt treating them as a neuscence animal which would enable them to be killed all year

Well, I like their new moniker for a python: "Reptile of Concern". Sounds like a legal definition and they may not be the ones assigning that definition. Like any government agency, they have to deal in bureaucracy and speak bureaucrese. :D

There are a series of steps that need to be taken. We cant just slaughter animals off all year just because they are an invading species. There has to be order. Its still science. The area for hunting is growing and they are allowing hunters to take a kill. Next, they will surely extend season and area.

I personally think its a joke, They act like they are concerned about the python population but arnt treating them as a neuscence animal which would enable them to be killed all year

Now this is also in light of the Comcast guy getting bit by a green mamba in Broward county a couple of weeks ago. Nasty, wicked snake - the black mamba in Africa actually chases natives and then bites 'em. Always fatal too.

I know what you mean but the snakes are not "wicked" , just doing what they have evolved to do.

Now, the dealers that sell totally unsuitable snakes for pets...........thats a different story.

There are a series of steps that need to be taken. We cant just slaughter animals off all year just because they are an invading species. There has to be order. Its still science. The area for hunting is growing and they are allowing hunters to take a kill. Next, they will surely extend season and area.

Actually you can just kill an invading species at will. Look at any Southern state that has a wild hog population. There is no season or limit and you kill them on sight. If it is not a native species then it is doing some harm the entire ecosystem that it is in. Im all for open season on dangerous or destructive non-native species of any animal.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom