My spit doesn't work

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deefstes

Contributor
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (not close enough to th
# of dives
100 - 199
There must be something wrong with my spit because it doesn't prevent my mask from fogging. The best anti-fog technique I've found is baby shampoo but I also use it differently from many others. I apply the baby shampoo inside the mask well before the dive and allow it to dry properly. Just before the dive I give it a quick rinse and it seems to work like a charm.

The problem is when I do consecutive dives I don't have time to treat my mask for the second or third dive and I sometimes have to resort to spit but it just doesn't seem to work for me.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong. How do you guys do it? Could there really be a trick to it? It seems so simple. If only it would work.

I keep some de-fog in my pocket, so it is always handy between dives. I keep another one in my mesh bag under my tank area. They cost about $5 and last forever, but I am cheated of the charming ritual of spitting into my mask.

Y'know what, there are days when mine works, and there are days when it doesn't - regardless of volume or consistency. Maybe its ambient temperature?

Toothpaste before every dive. Rub it in with a paper towel or old toothbrush. As used by the SEALs.

Or spend $42 at the shop for Sea Drops Plutonium. It must work at that price, right?

This is the stuff that is made from sweat, scraped from the inner thighs of Swedish virgin Dive Mistresses. :kissbutt: It is available only in Japan on the Ginza.

Toothpaste before every dive. Rub it in with a paper towel or old toothbrush.
Interestign idea. I might give this a try. I always understood the purpose of toothpaste was to get rid of the thin film (whatever film that is) in new masks, seeing as the toothpaste has a very mild abrasive quality. I didn't know it can also serve as anti-fog for masks in regular use.

Just to be clear, do you first dry your mask and then apply the toothpaste or do you just apply it to your wet mask? Then, before donning the mask I take it you rinse with sea water? Do you just rinse or do you wipe it clean with your fingers?

Or spend $42 at the shop for Sea Drops Titanium. It must work at that price, right?
LOL. When we started out diving we bought a little (50ml I think) tube of some or other wondrous anti-fogger, like so many other new divers. It cost something like $10 which thinking back now is actually ridiculous. We have only used it once or twice and now I'm almost too ashamed to be seen using it.:lotsalove:

Interestign idea.

A lot of people ignore this advice because of marketing.

Yes, do it before every dive. You can do it in advance, leaving the paste film on, rinsing it off just before.

I like to start with a fairly dry mask, prolly doesn't matter. But yes- rinse it well with any water just before the dive. otherwise the minty ingedient could cause temporary discomfort. This is the drawback that most people encounter. I guess they would rather bathe their eyes in the non-irritating chemicals from store bought mask-defog instead.

Yes, it is just to remove the film of crud... that's why any mask fogs.
That film can come from the factory, or you may acquire another version of it as you use your mask- from the salt water, whatever.

Film is film. It means you'll fog.

You can screw around with buying fancy anti-fog drops, or you can use what works and get it for free. Something to do with your squeezed out regular (non-gel) toothpaste tubes.

As stated previously- "as used by the SEALs", I seen it.

Deefstes:
I apply the baby shampoo inside the mask well before the dive and allow it to dry properly.

I've used this same method for years.

Deefstes:
The problem is when I do consecutive dives I don't have time to treat my mask for the second or third dive

It's rare you'll ever have that short of a surface interval. Immediately after securing your gear, before switching tanks, dry your mask with a towel and apply a very small amount of baby shampoo. If it's not raining, hang it on a tank valve in the sun to dry. In addition to this, I have a spare mask already treated. I use mask one for dives 1, 3, 5, etc. and mask two for dives 2, 4, 6, etc. This helps if the surface interval is especially short. If you have only one mask and a very short surface interval, treat it exactly the same and go in before the shampoo is dry. It will still work well.

Baby shampoo is what we use too. When doing back to back dives without ready access to my gear bag I just bring the dropper bottle of shampoo in my BC. Just make sure it's fairly full so it does not implode at depth.

For even better performance try not rinsing it before the dive. As soon as you hit the water condensation will begin to sheet, the shampoo will reconstitute and everything will become clear.

I usually wet my mask before applying the shampoo, Often the wetness of the prior dive is all that is needed to let it apply nicely. Whatever you do don' t let sunscreen, lotion or salad oil get near the lenses.

Pete

In addition to this, I have a spare mask already treated. I use mask one for dives 1, 3, 5, etc. and mask two for dives 2, 4, 6, etc.
Sounds like a sensible idea. B.t.w, I wish I could do 6 dives on a day, that sounds like my idea of fun.

Hi

How do you you treat your mask with spit?

Best way to do it:
- spitting
- rubbing
- removing the most spit
- rinsing with water at dept (let a little water in your mask, move your head a bit to rinse, and empty your mask

If you rinse the spit with surface water, you bring warm water on your glass (this easily fogs)

If you rinse it with cold water (same temp as at dept) it will less tend to fog.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom