My spit doesn't work

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the responses. Just one more questions, for the spitters (well I guess the Seagolders too);

If you spit/seagold/snot/shampoo/toothpaste your mask between dives, do you first dry the mask and then treat it or do you treat it just as wet as it came out of your last dive?

When I spit in a wet mask it doesn't seem like I'm rubbing anything onto the lens. It seems more like I'm just stirring a spit diluent around in the mask and then rinse it all out again but at the same time I don't always have a towel handy.

There must be something wrong with my spit because it doesn't prevent my mask from fogging. The best anti-fog technique I've found is baby shampoo but I also use it differently from many others. I apply the baby shampoo inside the mask well before the dive and allow it to dry properly. Just before the dive I give it a quick rinse and it seems to work like a charm.

The problem is when I do consecutive dives I don't have time to treat my mask for the second or third dive and I sometimes have to resort to spit but it just doesn't seem to work for me.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong. How do you guys do it? Could there really be a trick to it? It seems so simple. If only it would work.

drink a soda, not diet either, regular soda, you will have magic spit......spit into mask before each dive, rub with finger, rinse at surface, rinse at depth......

Meierdierck, I'm defying you! I drink diet soda (Diet Pepsi if you please) :) and I have the BEST spit. FABULOUS. Perfect.

What I have done. When I first got the mask, I scrubbed it with paste-style toothpaste. Now before each dive, I spit in the mask. No rinsing. No bottles of stuff. Just spit.

Been working fine up until now. Maybe next dive will change. :)

Throw your mask in the dishwasher on the top shelf. It won't fog on your next trip, that's what I do when my masks start fogging real bad.

I don't understand. How is that different from just cracking your mask to allow water in, and then purge the mask again? What is the benefit to taking it off your face altogether?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom