My spit doesn't work

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't understand. How is that different from just cracking your mask to allow water in, and then purge the mask again? What is the benefit to taking it off your face altogether?

Your mask fogs for the same reason your car windshield does: 1) It's dirty 2) The temp outside is different than the temp inside.

To fix a mask fog issue, clean it. If it still fogs, take off your mask and let your face get to the same temp as the water, then put it back on and clear. If your face is the same temp as the water, your changes for a fog are slim, unless you exhale through your nose :D

Toothpaste before every dive. Rub it in with a paper towel or old toothbrush. As used by the SEALs.

That's a "two-fer".:D

The abrasive in the toothpaste cleans the inside of the glass and if you leave a little inside, the detergent prevents fogging.

It's like combined "mask and slate cleaner" (which is a mild abrasive) and defog (which is detergent)

Terry

That's a "two-fer".:D

The abrasive in the toothpaste cleans the inside of the glass and if you leave a little inside, the detergent prevents fogging.

It's like combined "mask and slate cleaner" (which is a mild abrasive) and defog (which is detergent)

Terry

Toothpaste in your eyes does not feel good at all... Actually, it stings worse than saltwater in my experience :D

I suspect that every mask has its own personality (quality of glass and amount of dirt?). I have two and I noticed that baby shampoo works better for one and Seagold for another. In both cases a light rinse is a key. Problem with baby shampoo, it may produce bubbles if too much is left on a mask and to produce precipitate with water from some locations (even some bottled one). Seagold may leave specks of gel around the edges which can drift across the lenses during dive. I can though apply baby shampoo and Seagold on a wet mask with a great success as soon as I rinse it only once or twice with a small amount of water.

Mask fogging was what ruined my first dives for me.

What fixed it was:

1. Getting a good enough mask (€25 Balzer* vs. €10 sports shop discount special)
2. Rubbing it with toothpaste on the inside
3. Running it through the dishwasher a few times

Points 2 and 3 are applied to any mask. They seem to provide results.

What I do now is to carry the mask into the water as it came out of my box, dunk it, drain it, spit & rub, slosh out quickly and put it on. I don't have mask fogging issues any more.

Incidentally, there is an unstoppable rumour that anti-fog is made from concentrated DM/ CMAS*** diver spit...

Gerbs

* The Balzer, bought on a whim as a secondary mask, was less than half the price of the Technisub Look I also own and have used until then. It fits me better with less fogging problems.

Saltwater doesn't sting.

I've heard people say it does. Never been my experience.
Now, if somebody has sunblock on his face and water in the mask mixxes with that, they may blame a stinging sensation on the water?

There must be something wrong with my spit because it doesn't prevent my mask from fogging.

Correct!! A technical instructor told a friend of mine that some of us have the necessary stuff in our spit to use as defog and some of us just don't have it in our spit. You do not seem to have whatever is needed. I don't know what it's called and I don't have any research evidence to back this up, its just what I've been told.

I've also been warned over and over by my instructor that I can get an eye infection but until I do I will continue to do it till I get one! Hope this helped.

Saltwater doesn't sting.

Funny thing is that when I just have a little in my mask, it stings, but when I do a no-mask drill with my eyes open, it doesn't sting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom