• Quit-more than 12 months ago

Votes: 75 20.0%
  • Quit-but went back to smoking

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Non-smoker (never smoked)

Votes: 183 48.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kat

Contributor
Reaction score
Just curious. I know this was covered just recently but I thought a poll might give us more info.
I seem to meet more divers who smoke than don't.

Once you have the information, then what?

The distribution is probably pretty close to the general population.
What are you trying to correlate?

Larry

I think your right, the result will be very similar to the general population. I meet more smokers than non-smokers, in everyday activities.
When I started diving I was surprised at how many smokers there were, since most athletes tend to have a heathier lifestyle than the spectators.
Just want to see if my experiences w/ divers being smokers is typical w/ the divers here on the board.

Just becasue you dive does not make you healthy, in fact it makes you wonder why so many people die in diving accidents is mainly probably because of poor health and poor decisions about treatment of your body, and every once in awhile poor education.

Smoking reduces the amount of oxygen you take in when under the water, since it is replaced with carbon monoxide, and if you're already out of shape it may increase chances of heart attack.

Never have, never will.

WAY too many reasons not to. I like to keep my body healthy and in shape, smoking doesn't aid in that.

And the percentage of our nation that are smokers has decreased quite a bit.

I quit smoking cigarettes the same week I started my certification course. It's been over a year now.

But I catch a whiff of one every now and again, and especially after a beer or two I could go for one, but have successfully fought the urge.

I do have the odd cigar now and again though.

Marc

I hardly ever smoke during the week, only on weekends when having a few drinks, I like it that way and I don't feel any urges during the week.

It would probably be better not to smoke at all.

The only problem with this is that I feel it's counter-productive, I run and workout almost almost every day and sometimes I will feel that pack of smokes from the weekend.

I've been trying to stop smoking for a little while now and I must say it's not easy....I been smoking about two or three a day since I've decided to stop and soon will be down to none....I'm also training for my test as a Police Officer so that is motivation...

But just because you smoke doesn't mean your out of shape. I've been running 8 min miles for about a month now and wonder how many of you non smokers can do that...............

late,

Kat once bubbled...
Just curious. I know this was covered just recently but I thought a poll might give us more info.
I seem to meet more divers who smoke than don't.
I guess I am lucky that I never took it up but I know of some divers who do and hide it so that other divers(students) don't know they do. This is so they don't look bad. Practice what you preach!!!!:rolleyes:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom