Has anyone taken occupational scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flynner

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hey, looking to take an occupational scuba coarse at divesafe international in campbell river bc. i am looking to make a carrer change has anyone taken this coarse and no what kind of jobs there are out there? im really interested in fish farms and aquaculture, do they pay well? what do they do on a daily basis? is it a good rewarding job? any info would be great thanks

flynner

Beats me.

Great question. It's been a few years since I operated a commercial diving business in Vancouver, but I never had a call for "occupational SCUBA." Diving for occupational purposes (outside of recreational diving) is done in a manner that is "job focused." In other words, the customer wants a particular job to be performed. It's up to the diving contractor to itemize what equipment is best suited for the job. Sometimes this is SCUBA, but at other times it may be surface supply (air, mixed-gas), or even saturation. The Client is less concerned about how the job's done, than he is: Can it be done? What's the timetable? and At what cost?

I think when you restrict the tools available, you restrict the opportunities. An analogy would be someone who wants to become a carpenter by taking a course on hammer and nails. What do you think the job possibilities are? Not a saw, just hammer and nails...

I would also be interested in the credibility of the Instructors involved. Have they maintained a living by working in the "occupational SCUBA industry,"or is this just another way for a SCUBA Instructor / LDS to turn a buck?

Fish farming and aquaculture is a broad field. Fish farming in particular does not require regular diving.
I would treat a dive in a fish farm the same as a dive in a land farm discharge canal (vulcanized suit, and the works).
Continue looking this up before investing money and time, if it sounds too easy it is usually a bad sign.

Looks sketchy to me:

I can't imagine what, "U.S. Navy approved" means.

There is no career to be had in scientific/research diving, the whole point there is to have the researcher do the diving so the brain is in the experiment.

Back
Top Bottom