Duane or Spiegel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Strima77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I plan to dive a couple of days from Key Largo in early December. One day I want to visit the reefs and take pics of fish. But I also want to see a wreck. I'm AOW but not wreck certified - but I have done a few diver friendly wrecks off Cozumel and Puerto Morelos. Any suggestions for going to either the Duane or Speigel Grove? thanks.

I think the top of the Spiegel is a little shallower.... If you're concerned about depth.

You don't need to be wreck certified for either. Just stay outside the wreck and don't dive beyond YOUR limits.

both are great wrecks. You won't go wrong on either.

If you want to see a ton of fish and a wreck at the same time, go dive the Benwood. It was sunk in WWII and has 60 years of coral growth on it and is full of fish. Great photo opportunities. It's also a great '2nd dive' on the way back in after diving the Spiegel also... FYI. I'm thinking max depth on it was somewhere in the 40-50 foot range.

They are both fun dives. You can't miss with either. The Grove is bigger, but the Duane has been down longer and has considerably more coral growth.

As Walter mentioned they are both great wrecks. Although I think Walter is partial to the Eagle.:wink:

The Spiegel is a massive ship and usually takes more than one rec. dive to see all of her. The Duane is half the size and your time constrains will allow you to see most of her.

Most shops only require an AOW certification to dive these wrecks. Your briefing will usually include instructions that you don't penetrate the wreck and only do swim-thrus by most shops in the Florida Keys.

Just be aware that currents can render these wrecks un-diveable. Check with the shop you are considering diving with to see if they've heard any reports of conditions ...ie currents on these wrecks around the time you want to come down.

If I can answer any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Good Diving,

Hi Strima77

Why not the Spiegel Grove AND the Duane. These are great wrecks and are very different dives with distinctly different character. Both have many easy swim throughs. mike s is absoulutely correct, my usual max depths of 100-110 feet are not much different but my average depth on the Spiegel is just less than 70 feet whereas on the Duane it is just a bit less than 80 feet. Both are perfect for 32% nitrox, giving you about a 45 minute total dive time for the Spiegel and more like 40 minutes for the Duane. I second mike s's suggestion for the Benwood also. It's usually very fishy and the max depth of 50 ft and avg depths of about 30 feet make for nice long, leisurely dives. There's a nice mini-wall to about 80-90 feet a short swim SE from the bow.

The water in December is often in the mid-70s. I usually wear a 5mm, especially when diving 4 dives per day, and stay toasty.

As an example, Ocean Divers does a wreck and a reef every morning and 2 reefs each afternoon. On Sunday, you can do the Spiegel in the morning and the Duane in the afternoon, both with a reef 2nd dive. In a couple of days you can get in both wrecks and several nice reef dives (Benwood counts as a reef due to shallow depth). OD will go out with 2 divers. I'm sure many operators run similar schedules and can deliver the same array of great dives. Enjoy Key Largo.

Good diving, Craig

They are both fun dives. You can't miss with either. The Grove is bigger, but the Duane has been down longer and has considerably more coral growth.

I'll take the Duane for $2000 Alex (it's all about the growth).

BTW, there's another cool wreck off Islamorada called the Eagle you would also like.

If you've got two days, I'd suggest something like this.

Day 1: Spiegel Grove for dive one, followed by the Benwood
Day 2: Duane for dive one, followed by Molasses or French Reef.

Lots of other great sites in the area also. Don't fell you have to do these. Everyone has different opinions and preferences on what they like in a great dive site.

For example, some like the Christ of the Abyss site, some don't. But I think you can find something great on about any site. A lot of it is "what you make of it".

Thanks everyone for your very helfpul tips. I look forward to the dives.

Yeah, the Benwood is an amazing wreck, and at that depth, you can spend a long time on it! I've been on the Duane and it's a great dive! The currents are crazy, but it makes it even more exciting! I'm scheduled on the Speigel Grove at the end of the month and can't WAIT to get on that !

(I also am partial to the Eagle! Great dive!!!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom