Diving Solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Ok I am new to diving. Just got my OW.

Obviously most trips I am planning on going with one of my buddies.

Here is my question. Many times for work I am in a location where I can go diving but am there by myself. The areas where I am typically by myself are Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica, and Ecuador.

So if I go out on a dive boat by myself can I tag along with others on the dive? Is it typical to see divers out on a boat without friends...who then join up with others? Basically even though I may be by myself I still want to dive with others.

What is the norm?

Thanks.

You bet, if your on a boat they will pair you up with someone or the divemaster. Its a friendly group these diving people

They're called 'insta-buddies'. You'll usually be able to find other divers on the boat that are in a similar situation. Most places will have a DM so tag along with them if you have to.

Of course, it's better to make arrangements ahead of time.

Richard

Don't forget to dive within your skill level. Make sure your insta-buddy knows you're a new diver, and never be afraid to thumb a dive if you're not feeling comfortable with something.

What's the thinking on acsending solo? The reason I ask is that I will also be diving with an insta buddy too and am also a very new diver. I could often be in the situation where I suck my air down really fast and my more experienced instabuddy still has lots of air left. Is it okay to ascend solo? What usually happens in these situations?

What's the thinking on acsending solo? The reason I ask is that I will also be diving with an insta buddy too and am also a very new diver. I could often be in the situation where I suck my air down really fast and my more experienced instabuddy still has lots of air left. Is it okay to ascend solo? What usually happens in these situations?

Discuss this with your buddy and make a plan for this before the dive

It's something you should bring up with your buddy and decide beforehand. There is really no right or wrong answer, just what you've worked out beforehand. If you are not comfortable ascending on your own, make it clear to your buddy that if you suck down your air too fast, you'll want them to finish the dive with you. That way, they know they might have to end the dive early and can choose whether or not they want to take that risk with diving with you and you are also assured of someone accompanying you to the surface. Or if you say you are comfortable but when it comes to ascending you'd rather them come up with you, make sure you've worked out how to communicate that. Me and my buddy sometimes have differing air consumptions (though usually we are the same) so he would ascend alone and we had an agreement where I would watch him get to the surface. It was also understood that if he changed his mind and wanted me to come with him, I'd do so.

Thats your decision (assuming the boat is O.K. with it.)

Lots of people do it.Usually everything is fine. Occasionally something bad happens.

As a very new diver you might prefer to never be alone in the water.

I dove solo for many, many years. On some dives I would pair up with someone. In some instances a couple would say ok to me tagging along. There were times when I would hook up with three others. Generally the Dive Con will hook you up with someone unless you just prefer to dive solo. When I could not find an appropriate "someone" to dive with, I would dive solo. I prefered to dive solo in some crowds.

I guess what I am saying in all this is that a long time ago I decided not to let the fact that I did not have a partner stop me from going diving.

One of the reasons I can behave this way is because I am a recreational diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom