Storing tanks in below freezing conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dhboner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am trying to find room for all the gear that my sons and I have accumulated (to keep my wife from killing me). One possibility is to keep the tanks in a locked shed over the winter. We live in Toronto, Canada so the winters can get pretty cold.

Are there any problems storing tanks over the winter in a shed where they will be exposed to freezing temperatures for a long period of time?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am trying to find room for all the gear that my sons and I have accumulated (to keep my wife from killing me). One possibility is to keep the tanks in a locked shed over the winter. We live in Toronto, Canada so the winters can get pretty cold.

Are there any problems storing tanks over the winter in a shed where they will be exposed to freexing temperatures for a long period of time?

Thanks!

NOT recommended. When we lived in TGWN we always kept our gear someplace where the temps did not go below freezing.

Might I suggest keeping them in the garage?

No garage!

I can find storage indoors but wanted to know if the shed was a safe option.

Thanks

No garage!

Thanks

No problem.

Keep on divin' eh?! :D

NOT recommended. When we lived in TGWN we always kept our gear someplace where the temps did not go below freezing.

Might I suggest keeping them in the garage?

Can you provide more info on this? I can understand why heat is a problem, Does cold work in the reverse? If the air inside the cylinder is dry what effect does the cold have on the metal? O-rings I understand would be effected, Anything else?

My tanks stay in an unheated garage all winter for the last 14 years with no problem. Just make sure that:
1) They are well rinsed and dry before storage - good thing to do after any salt water dive anyway
2) That there is room for air circulation around them so that they dry and stay dry. This is important if you see condensation on the tanks in a freeze and thaw type of day
3) Do not store any tank on cement or concrete, always put a piece of wood to keep them off the ground. Putting them on a wood pallet will work well as there is air movement under them as well as around them.

Only problem I know of with the cold is, orings and seats shrink. I've heard of someone losing all the gas in their tanks when the seat shrunk enough to let air out of the valve.

So, I'd put DIN valves on all the tanks, and buy SS DIN plugs, and put those in them as well.

No garage!

Thanks

Keep the tanks inside....and the wife in the shed :rofl3:

My tanks stay in an unheated garage all winter for the last 14 years with no problem. Just make sure that:
1) They are well rinsed and dry before storage - good thing to do after any salt water dive anyway
2) That there is room for air circulation around them so that they dry and stay dry. This is important if you see condensation on the tanks in a freeze and thaw type of day
3) Do not store any tank on cement or concrete, always put a piece of wood to keep them off the ground. Putting them on a wood pallet will work well as there is air movement under them as well as around them.

1) Yeah, we get a lot of salt water up in Toronto. Those bloody Great Lakes... oh wait... nevermind... :wink:

2. Agreed.

3. Not sure about this one, but sounds reasonable.

BTW, if you re-read my post you'll see that I indicated that the garage would be preferable to a shed in the back garden. Sheds are small & get much colder in the Winter than the garage!

Pax,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom