Flying with a speargun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JPENDERGRAST

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone do this on a regular basis? I looked on the TSA web site and it says any weapon has to be in a locked case? So does that rule out soft cases? If so, has anyone found a hard, lockable case which would accomodate a 56" Sea Hornet with a few spears?

Thanks,

I know pelican makes some fantastic cases of the size you are looking for (quite pricey though). Try contacting a gun store and see if they have a gun case fitting your specs...and you are correct, no soft cases allowed.

when you check it in, do not use the word "gun" or they'll treat it like a firearm.

It's "fishing tackle", not a "spear gun".

Does anyone do this on a regular basis? I looked on the TSA web site and it says any weapon has to be in a locked case? So does that rule out soft cases? If so, has anyone found a hard, lockable case which would accomodate a 56" Sea Hornet with a few spears?

Thanks,

the real question is, do you really want to check your speargun in a soft case with the airlines?

they throw a 50 plus pound bag on it, and bend a spear shaft, you're screwed.

But you're right about size of hard cases. I checked on Cabelas website and they only go up to 52"

Have you considered a Pelican case for your speargun?

3cases_1750.jpg

The Pelican 1770 might do it, if you turned the gun diagonally in the case

1770 Long Case
Interior Dimensions:
54.58" x 15.58" x 8.63" (138.6 x 39.6 x 21.9 cm)

Why not call SeaHornet and ask them where you can get a case for it?

when you check it in, do not use the word "gun" or they'll treat it like a firearm.

It's "fishing tackle", not a "spear gun".

So I've heard. But what is the difference in treating it like a gun and fishing tackle. Do they not require the lock if it's considered fishing tackle? Also, wouldn't they open it to look at it regardless?

I know pelican makes some fantastic cases of the size you are looking for (quite pricey though). Try contacting a gun store and see if they have a gun case fitting your specs...and you are correct, no soft cases allowed.

Yes, that is out of my price range.

Why not call SeaHornet and ask them where you can get a case for it?

I've tried that, but it's easier said than done. Although I'm waiting on a response from one vendor, I still don't think I'm going to get far with them. Sea Hornet's main office is in Australia and they are very selective with their vendors.. Basically, I've gotten more from Google than I have from Sea Hornet.

you can make your own with PVC. Use screw caps for one or both ends. Take the handle off the gun & put it in unattached or in a suitcase.

Working on the blueprints for that now. Hopefully that will work and I can share it on here.

you can make your own with PVC. Use screw caps for one or both ends. Take the handle off the gun & put it in unattached or in a suitcase.

I did that for fishing rods. worked great :thumb:

I've had several other friends borrow it for fishing trips that required them to fly.

I think I used 6" PVC. (or about that. mayb eit was 4")

However, I never thought about using screw caps on both ends. sounds like a good idea as I had something get caught in the far end of the tube once and thought I'd have to cut it off. (luckily it came out). But having screw ends on both ends would take care of that if it happened again.

maybe an 8" pipe would fit it with the handle? dunno.

there are requirements for firearm cases. A PVC tube likely won't meet them, though it's fine for fishing tackle, so if you confuse them it could be bad.

And if you once use the word "speargun" odds are you will never get the person to understand that it's not a firearm. It's just happened to too many people.

there are requirements for firearm cases. A PVC tube likely won't meet them, though it's fine for fishing tackle, so if you confuse them it could be bad.

And if you once use the word "speargun" odds are you will never get the person to understand that it's not a firearm. It's just happened to too many people.

if you carry a firearm (locked and in a case in checked luggage), you have to declare it and fill out a form at checkin.

do you have to do that with a speargun?

Back
Top Bottom