Are you a scuba nerd?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian Sharpe

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife tells me I'm a nerd.:dork2:

I'm one of those people that has an insatiable curiosity about the world in general, in particular I need to know how things work. As a result of my curiosity I end up almost making a study of things that interest me - in particular I've been reading books on diving (working through Dec for Divers, just got Diving Science), regulator servicing (contemplating buying a cheap used reg just to take one apart) etc, and books about diving (Shadow Divers, Deep Descent etc) and can't wait for the latest issue of Scuba Diving magazine to arrive.

Personally I find that the more I learn the more motivated I am to dive.

By virtue of the fact that publishers print these books and Amazon stocks them I know I am not alone...........

Are you a scuba nerd?

Oh, absolutely! When I first started asking questions on this board, Doc Intrepid sent me a bunch of links, and I started printing out online articles about diving topics, especially decompression theory. (Mark Powell has since gathered most of that information into a single, readable and extremely educational book.)

I have a library of dive-related books and publications, and two binders full of printouts. I am close to the quintessential non-professional scuba nerd.

I'd say I'm a nerd at some level, yes. I used to read a lot but the thing about reading a lot is that the more you learn the more you realize how much you don't know.

It's kind of like the process of getting a PhD. You read and read and read so you know more and more about less and less until you know everything about nothing. Then you get your degree... :) (I don't have PhD, it's a quote from someone I know).

That's the opposite of being a philosopher, which are what we all are on Scubaboard. Philosophers are people who know less and less about more and more until they know nothing about everything :D

Either way, I don't have/make time to read as much anymore so I just go diving... :)

R..

SCUBA is a nerd sport.

N

Greetings Brian and welcome to the OCD diving network! You are among friends and free to speak your mind amongst this group. Do not let others discourage you but continue to study, read and learn. One can never truly achieve too much information or learn too much! I like the fact that the more I study the more I see I do not know and understand. I am enjoying the journey marked by mountains and valleys and the occasional mind fart. This board has been like a support group for those of us who's diving path is not the normal vacation divers but a group of serious divers who want to know what and why, then the HOW! We live for the HOW! That is my passion and hopefully diving till the end of my days. Keep asking and searching for the answers that plague us and by all means share your findings. Feel free to PM me if you answer lifes greatest riddle.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!:)

Let's see I have Instructor manuals for 4 agencies, standards and procedures for 3, Ow course materials for 4, 3 diving encyclopedias, every issue if dive training and alert diver for the last 5 years. I also have 2 courses I've written, am doing two more presentations for a show in March, as well as reg service manuals for 6 brands. AM I nerd? Nope I'm an educator who wants to pass on as much to my students as possible. The only way to find knowledge is to actively pursue it by all means possible.

SCUBA is a nerd sport.

N

My world has just been turned upside down. When I was a kid Mike Nelson on Sea Hunt was the coolest guy on TV and now you're telling me he was a nerd?????:confused:

I have read all of the popular scuba books (repeatedly), read scuba board daily, dive a lot (even in a local mud puddle), and will talk about scuba to anyone at any time. Wife tells me I need to muzzle myself when I see non-divers' eyes glaze over. Even though I can disassemble nearly anything it probably ain't going back together with my abilities so I stay away from the mechanical stuff.

Hi Brian,

I definitely started-out as a SCUBA nerd, but my addiction has spread into the other areas of diving as well (and I'm not talking fin fetishes here). The more I learn, the more I realize that I've only scratched the surface of what there is to know.

When I realized that I could make a living off of my hobby, that was it. Since then I haven't looked back. The oceans of the world have opened their arms and shown me many wonders. It's wonderful to share this blessing with others.

Regardless of the different opinions held by people on this Board, we are unified in our love for the underwater world. What a foundation to build upon. :)

Regards,

Wayne

Attachments

• hightideheels.jpg
    hightideheels.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 50

Back
Top Bottom