The trusty BCD.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garrobo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Aside from "minimalist" diving there must be some way of getting around wearing the expensive, uncomfortable, movement-restricting and usually mandatory BCD. I've given it a lot of thought and can't seem to conjur up the materials needed to replace one. As far as I am concerned the only use for one is to stay off the bottom and to float on the surface. Mine is always empty on the surface anyway. I'd like to find a durable and inflatable by air tank kind of sausage which can be snapped into a ring around the waist. Any ideas or suggestions (keep it clean) out there?

Well the BCD is used for more than just holding air... Unless of course you carry your tanks in your hands :D and will no longer have the d-rings for that sausage gimic.

Have you considering going to a backplate and wing system. Tons of mobility, Very comfortable and you can put whatever size wing you want on it.

Not much bigger than the tank itself yet much safer than trying to ride a winnie underwater.

rig.jpg

...be careful though, I know some dive ops/boats that will give you the evil eye if you show up to dive with gear that's a little too.....non-standard/wierd/homemade-looking.....

...be careful though, I know some dive ops/boats that will give you the evil eye if you show up to dive with gear that's a little too.....non-standard/wierd/homemade-looking.....

Yup, I spent a good 30 mins dealing with the manager of a dive op in Aruba when i showed up with my backplate and wing system... Then to try and tell them i did not need lead on the phone... lol He kept freaking out on me saying he would not let me dive with no lead as it would be unsafe... trying to explain i am diving a 12 pound backplate... lead is just not needed..

SkimFisher: Yep. That's about what I'm looking for. I use an OMS backplate and HOG rig with an AL80 to practice in the pool and this outfit should cover what I need. I'll investigate it more fully. "Thank you very much." (Elvis).

So you are going to dive the backplate and HOG system minus the wing when you dive? And just looking for a lift device as a just incase kind of thing?

If that is the case and you don't want or need a BCD why not just clip off a liftbag with a OPV to control the accent with?

Yup, I spent a good 30 mins dealing with the manager of a dive op in Aruba when i showed up with my backplate and wing system... Then to try and tell them i did not need lead on the phone... lol He kept freaking out on me saying he would not let me dive with no lead as it would be unsafe... trying to explain i am diving a 12 pound backplate... lead is just not needed..

...I've never been to Aruba, but have been to Bonaire twice, and it's Bonaire policy to make all divers do an initial 'supervised' (kiddie) dive to see if you have a basic grasp of bouyancy control before they'll let you loose on the reef......so if your situation had happened to me, I might have used the 'kiddie' dive to prove I had a clue..... :)

Patience is key when schooling "professionals" about scuba equipment and physics. Speaking slowly will also help. :D Just having fun. Please no instructor PMs...:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom