JBL Explorer 24

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skimphish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
does anyone use one of these? leisurepro has them on sale for $115, and i was interested. this would be my first speargun, and my parents are buying it for me if its a good gun. if not, what else would be a good gun for under about $175? i did a search, and read a couple threads about starter guns, but their price range was a lil above mine. lol.

thanks in advnaced!

well looks like im gonna hold off on a speargun now. when i do get one ill be getting a mako for sure after reading about them. my gf is getting me a pole spear for Christmas so ill wait a while to get a spear gun.

assuming you'll be using it out of panama city, you'll find a 24" gun to be extremely limited in utility there.

If you'd like to learn more about spearing, see the link in my sig. Call Pat & have a chat. I'd also encourange you to look into your local dive shops. Pat uses Diver's Den on Thomas Dr, Panama City Beach & I deal with the Dive Locker, a few blocks north of that shop. Dive Locker is spearo friendly & stocks some guns, pole spears, etc.

But your bottom line best bet to get up to speed on what you're doing is to get with someone that knows how & learn from them. So give Pat a call.

I live 150 miles north of you. I have an extra gun. I have no problem taking a newbie out, it just comes down to when I can afford to come down to dive. if that interests you, shoot me a pm & I'll send you contact info & we can see about getting together for some dives when possible.

I got my first speargun the beginning of this summer, I ended up getting a Picasso Century and have been very happy with it. I paid $120 for it and have used it to get stripped bass.

I ended up making the choice to buy it after standing on the shore for about 2 minutes with a surfcast pole, and got eaten alive by mosquitos. So I picked up the speargun, suited up, and laid down in the creek for about 20 minutes and came up with a 34" striper. Since we are only allowed one a day, I did the same the next day, and came back with a 29" striper. So after 2 days of using it I had found it to be very easy to use, and relatively accurate.

I have the JBL Explorer. I got it as a beginner gun before I knew any better. I would not recommend it. There are better guns for the same or close price. It has gotten me alot of fish BUT it's fairly inaccurate due to not having a track. It's also negatively buoyant. I am keeping it around for bad visibility or when a friend wants to dive with me.

I'm not saying you need to steer clear of JBL. I have one, and it's a decent gun. However, when you buy a JBL, understand that their method of advertising the measurement of the gun is confusing and somewhat skewed. What they advertise as a 46" gun is actually a 42" gun and then the spear is only about 36" long. This is just too short for salt water unless you're only shooting small fish. If you're not interested in Amberjack, large Snapper, Grouper, and Cobia, a short gun may fit you well.

I have a 54" Sea Hornet and I love it. Last time out, I shot a 26" Black Grouper from about 15 feet away and stoned it. The downside- it's heavy... Very heavy. If I could go back, I would have probably bought a rail gun. Wood does have it's advantages though.

Back
Top Bottom