Jupiter 01/02/2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Orlando Eric

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Went out in the freezing cold today. Brrrr

The air was in the low 50's and the water 63F at 95 feet on my Oceanic Veo.

First drop was Esso Bonaire, Mt Zion and Miss Jenny. Grouper have taken up residence there and head in the wreck when divers come along. It gets really crowded in there with me and those guys in the small galley. South current with about 40' vis maybe 50'. Spearos got a huge fish with lots of blood. A Bullshark came sniffing around but he was chicken and swam off. Many snapper under the ledge at the wreck as well as inside. I think it was the little blue H's.
On way up huge Ray in the sand chilling.

Drop two Scarface. South drop south current. Green moray on the drop. I did not get to see if it is the famous scarface or not. Second moray about 10 minutes in with a nurse shark swimming around. Spearos about 1 minute ahead and group four minutes behind me. Two large loggerheads resting under the ledge no tags. Small spotted eel very timid and would not come out to play. Spearo's got several fish this drop. I could hear the *Snap* of the gun sounded like UW Beirut up there put they got fish... I think they missed alot too.

Then at 40 minutes there he was mr hellspawn motherless fish himself. :angrymob:LIONFISH:m16: I did not bring a spear and would have paid $100.00 for a piece of rebar about then. I was looking around for a old hook and line to snag it a lobster trap to snap off a board... broken wine bottle.. NOTHING! I'll not make that mistake again.

On the way back in several people got wiped off the bench onto the deck. Those waves where STEEP and quick. Mike scrubbed the afternoon boat as it was only getting worse as the day went on.

Hope to get back soon to kill the LionFish...

Sounds like a great day. Saw you guys out there and glad Captain Mike was at the helm. Everyone safe.

First drop was Esso Bonaire, Mt Zion and Miss Jenny. Grouper have taken up residence there and head in the wreck when divers come along. It gets really crowded in there with me and those guys in the small galley. South current with about 40' vis maybe 50'. Spearos got a huge fish with lots of blood. A Bullshark came sniffing around but he was chicken and swam off. Many snapper under the ledge at the wreck as well as inside. I think it was the little blue H's.
On way up huge Ray in the sand chilling.

Drop two Scarface. South drop south current. Green moray on the drop. I did not get to see if it is the famous scarface or not. Second moray about 10 minutes in with a nurse shark swimming around. Spearos about 1 minute ahead and group four minutes behind me. Two large loggerheads resting under the ledge no tags. Small spotted eel very timid and would not come out to play. Spearo's got several fish this drop. I could hear the *Snap* of the gun sounded like UW Beirut up there put they got fish... I think they missed alot too.

Then at 40 minutes there he was mr hellspawn motherless fish himself. :angrymob:LIONFISH:m16: I did not bring a spear and would have paid $100.00 for a piece of rebar about then. I was looking around for a old hook and line to snag it a lobster trap to snap off a board... broken wine bottle.. NOTHING! I'll not make that mistake again.

On the way back in several people got wiped off the bench onto the deck. Those waves where STEEP and quick. Mike scrubbed the afternoon boat as it was only getting worse as the day went on.

Dude, you are a walking armory of weapons of mass destruction. :D Wiskey Tango Foxtrot! That is about the heaviest dived spot on the planet so I am sure he will get what's coming to him. :reaper:

Last edited:
That was an excellent review... and very entertaining. I saw a buddy of mine try to kill a hogfish with his 4 inch dive knife... Obviously very unsuccessfully, but lots of fun to watch him try. I wish I could have been there to see you drop to the bottom as you spot a bottle, then break it, then go after the lionfish... even better if it was videotaped for all to see... LOL

You might want to get that VEO checked out Eric, the water was 76 :)

I feel your pain on the lionfish, I was up there a few weeks ago and a few minutes after my spearo buddy left me, I encountered one of the bastages with nothing but a snare and a pair of trauma shears.... I swear it laughed at me and then swam away.

Brr! You're a brave man, Eric!!! I seem to recall a winter dive with a bunch of SB'ers way back when........begging to get back in the water because it was much more comfortable down there than on the deck in the freezing cold!! I'll be hibernating until April or so, now!

We've also seen several lionfish up there on the MG-411 as well....seems they're spreading.

:shakehead: There just aren't enough Boy Scouts anymore.

Diving invasive lionfish country, unarmed and unprepared. Tsk.

Jax-- I'll be carry my Lance from now on...

Brr! You're a brave man, Eric!!! I seem to recall a winter dive with a bunch of SB'ers way back when........begging to get back in the water because it was much more comfortable down there than on the deck in the freezing cold!! I'll be hibernating until April or so, now!

We've also seen several lionfish up there on the MG-411 as well....seems they're spreading.

It's all about layering my dear. Here is a link for one of the better dive parkas availiable for nearly half price.

http://www.truwest.com/parkas/stkparkas/stockparkassale.html

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom