Lobster Trip Report - Pompano Beach 12/31/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Set up a lobster/natural reef trip with Capt Conrad Nix aboard his boat the Miss Conduct on 12/31. Capt Conrad dropped MrXRay and I on a reef in about 60ft of water. We found zero current, and 100ft of viz. The reef looked like the Garden of Eden, with acres of growth in all directions. We could have spent hours just staring at the beautiful reef, but we had a mission, so we started scanning the area for bugs. About 10 minutes in, I found a large 6' Green Moray under a ledge. I yelled through my reg and motioned XRay over to the spot where we both spent a minute marveling over the beautiful eel. Of course we had left our cameras (always a mistake) so we continued on. About 15 minutes into the dive I spotted our first bug. I called XRay over, and he made short work of the bug with his snare. It continued like that for awhile, with both of us working together (I had a net and a tickle stick) to maximize our take. We surfaced with 8 legal bugs, and never even touched an undersized lobster. This was fortunate, as we had been pouring on the smack-talk pretty thick on the ride out, and it's always nice to back up such behavior with results :eyebrow:

Our second dive was a short distance away, and we found a slight current over the reef, but calm conditions at depth. This time we concentrated on photos and video, so we didn't take any lobster, but we still had a great dive.

The third drop resulted in us spotting another Green Moray. He was a bit smaller than his cousin from the first reef, and he was mostly concealed, but he did smile for us while we took photos, so we didn't complain. We lost a few shots at lobster, mostly because this area was more challenging, and also because we're new to the game, but we did manage two additional bugs for the grill.

I'll add that the trip was very enjoyable, and Capt Conrad was a pleasure to dive with. He tailored the trip to our wishes and impressed us with his knowledge of the area. He has a great sense of humor and made the trip more enjoyable with entertaining stories of past adventures. I've been lucky enough to dive with a fair number of good captains, but Capt Conrad is a favorite, and we will definitely use him again the next time we're in town.

A few Photos:

IMG_1084.jpg

IMG_1090.jpg

IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1117.jpg

IMG_1120.jpg

IMG_1139.jpg

IMG_1143.jpg

IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1185.jpg

IMG_1170.jpg

IMG_1192.jpg

IMG_1081.jpg

IMG_1082.jpg

The trip Hetland speaks about was unbelievable and I can't say enough about the Charter boat and it's captain the Miss Conduct and Capt. Conrad Nix. I still laugh when I think of the sizing game we played once back on board with our lobsters...Free or Fu*&#D! The trip was a great call and although our charter in the keys was canceled I couldn't have thought of a better way to spend the open time!

Some pics:

PC316699.jpg

PC316735.jpg

PC316737.jpg

PC316746.jpg

PC316754.jpg

PC316763.jpg

PC316772.jpg

PC316785.jpg

PC316786.jpg

The trip was a great call and although our charter in the keys was canceled I couldn't have thought of a better way to spend the open time!

Very nice photos XRay!

Awesome, I think you guys got a taste of Cozumel.

Four days in Ft. Lauderdale/Pompano Beach coast me about $310, which is everything (charter, food, lodging, refills, etc) but gas money. I'm not complaining!

Very nice photos XRay!

Four days in Ft. Lauderdale/Pompano Beach coast me about $310, which is everything (charter, food, lodging, refills, etc) but gas money. I'm not complaining!

Myself and 3 other divers are going to be in the Pompano area mid Feb. Where did you stay and would you recommend it?

Thanks, Al

Not bad at all.

Myself and 3 other divers are going to be in the Pompano area mid Feb. Where did you stay and would you recommend it?

Thanks, Al

I'd rather not say, as I can't recommend it. We stayed on the outskirts of Lauderdale on the SW side. Next time we go we will likely look more to the North, and hopefully do better on the lodging.

Thnx for the report

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom