Laws In Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarrelRoll

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I did a couple of searches, both on SB and through Google, and I can't find anything other than very specific, regional websites that cover what is legal and where.

Can anyone give me a brief run-down on spear-fishing and the laws surrounding it?

I was always under the impression that spear fishing is only legal while snorkeling, and was rather surprised to find this section and read about people using SCUBA while fishing. It's a sport I'd love to get into, I just never gave it much thought since I thought it was only for snorkeling.

Depends on where you are. It is illegal to spearfish using scuba in most countries, but not everywhere in the U.S. Some say Hawaiians frown on using scuba, but I've speared there twice with locals, both times on scuba.

Can anyone give me a brief run-down on spear-fishing and the laws surrounding it?

What town specifically would you be departing from?

What town specifically would you be departing from?

I live in Dallas, so it's not exactly a specific location sort of thing.

From the responses, though, I'm assuming it varies greatly depending on location.

Texas regs, TPWD: Legal Freshwater and Saltwater Devices and Restrictions for Fish.

Spear:
Any shaft with single or multiple points, barbed or barbless, which may be propelled by any means, but does not include arrows.
May be used to take NONGAME fish only.
Spear Gun:
Any hand operated device designed and used for propelling a spear, but does not include the crossbow.
May be used to take NONGAME fish only.

This page has links for for all 50 states, http://worldspearfishing.com/regulations.php.

Back
Top Bottom