SR1 DIN to YOKE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ianwhiteman

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am looking at an SR1 with a DIN fitting and am wondering if there are disadvantages to using and adapter? I have heard they hit you in the back of the head a lot due to sticking out further. Is there a way to permanently convert them instead of an adapter?

sure, an SR1 can be converted to a YOKE-only reg, instead of having DIN and using an adapter. If you dive the SR1 with the 1st-stage mounted correctly on the tank, it is much less likely to hit you in the back of the head.....mount it with the 1st-stage turret pointing down. I've got a number of DIN regs with yoke adapters and NONE of them hit me in the back of the head. Remember though, not all regs are identical, and some might take up more space than other models....I've never had a problem with my Atomics or Poseidons though, which are all DIN with yoke adapters.

If you are currently diving a SR1 with a Yoke 1st stage and want to permanently convert it to a DIN 1st stage that can be done. Visit your LDS and they can purchase the parts for you, and do the assembly if necessary.

I dove for a year with my SR1 reg (Yoke) and I recently purchased two Zeagle Flathead Regs (DIN) to use on my set of double. For the latter, I also procured the DIN to Yoke adapter so if push come to shove, I can use them on any tank that present itself (locally or on a diving trip). I initially mounted my Flatheads mounted on a single first stage to try them in a a single diving tank in fifty foot indoor diving pool prior using them for ice diving again on a single tank. In both cases, the single stage was used with the DIN to Yoke adaptor and I had no problem whatsoever, especially with the clearance between the valve and my head. I would personally recommend that if you only have one reg and you decide to go to DIN you also get the adaptor as well for flexibility.
P.S. I still dive with my SR1 (when I dive single tanks)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom