Oak Bay Roatan no longer accepting SSI cards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Genesis

Contributor
Reaction score
According to a post on Rodale's, there is some kind of dispute going on with the resort and SSI, and as a consequence they have decided to dishonor all SSI C-cards.

Of course they're not announcing this on their web site or in advance, whcih means they deny you your vacation full of diving - unless you take a new OW class from them!

I'm trying to run this down right now, but its all over Rodales D2D - if true, it would seem the proper response is to put 'em out of business the old-fashioned way - make sure that everyone knows that their agency could be next, without notice, even if they're not SSI.

Would you book a vacation a year or more in advance if you knew that the resort might dishonor your C-card when you got there, leaving you high and (literally) dry?

....WOW........so now divers need to check in advance on any potential trip to see if their particular 'brand' of C-card is acceptable?

Brilliant idea....for the resort to take out their 'frustrations' on innocent/unsuspecting tourist divers!

I'm a pretty low-key person ( I have to be, working in the collections/repo dept of a major automaker....I'm good at keeping a cool head)....but I'd go VOLCANIC if I arrived somewhere to start my dive vacation and they pulled that stunt on me!

The resorts better pray they don't have the misfortune of crossing me in that way......if I'm unhappy I guarantee them they'll be unhappy too........

For what's it's worth.........I'm NASE 'BOW'......PADI "AOW" and TDI "Nitrox/Advanced Nitrox/Deco procedures" certified........so I guess I'd be ready to show at least one 'acceptable' version of a C-card......unless they're at war with all the agencies.

Karl

Thats why you pay for vacations with a credit card, and then dispute the charges when you get screwed over.

Knavey once bubbled...
Thats why you pay for vacations with a credit card, and then dispute the charges when you get screwed over.

This works, absolutely, if you file a chargeback request with the credit card company within 120 days of the original charge.

This is something to think about, however, since I generally book dive trips about six months out.:rolleyes:

I read the above posts and said to myself "No way! No businessman would be that hardheaded and stupid, even if he did have some sort of battle going on with SSI". So I popped off an email to them.

----- Original Message -----
To: <ah6pn@ARRL.NET>
Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2003 7:51 AM
Subject: SSI Open Water Scuba Cert acceptable?

On www.scubaboard.com there have been messages saying that Oak Bay
Resort does not recognize an SSI OW scuba cert as valid and requires additional courses before letting people dive.

Is this true?

Charlie Allen

-----------------------

Their prompt response: "Yes this is true.."

I sent them a rather lengthy message - no response.....

.. every last member of this board should send them an email basically saying, " If you have a beef with SSI, More power to ya...but if so, take it up with SSI. Don't take out your anger on innocent divers who have nothing to do with your arguement whatsoever. Because of your mistreatment of innocent bystanders, I who am PADI certified, BTW, will no longer consider using your resort when staying in Roatan."

I am PADI certified and was considering going to Roatan next summer....Guess where I WON'T be staying! :upset:

If you go to their website, http://www.roatandiving.com/, they use the "ssi" on their website to attract google and whatnot.

No mention of not accepting SSI divers.

Sounds like they are screwing over their customers in order to have a tiff with SSI.

Not the best business decision.

Peter Doege

Bill H once bubbled...

This works, absolutely, if you file a chargeback request with the credit card company within 120 days of the original charge.

This is something to think about, however, since I generally book dive trips about six months out.:rolleyes:

Good point...I did know that but forgot to put it in. I try to avoid doing those prepay options to far in advance but sometimes you the boat or resort may not be available unless you book that far in advance.

My last expendature was about 4 grand for my wife and I on a liveaboard. They wanted an extra 50 bucks each if we paid by credit card. I thought it was worth it in case something went wrong and I did have to dispute the charges. Nothing went wrong though, and I came away extremely satisfied with the cruise and dives. Am looking forward to diving with them again in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom