Interested in switching to BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brucet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK, so I am looking into going from my Seaquest Balance BC, to a BP/W setup. I do like my current bc, but the bp/w looks much less restrictive, and a simple set up. I have a few questions about the switch, as I have never dove one, or even looked into it for that matter.
1) I generally dive reefs and wrecks not exceeding 90 feet, and alternate between an AL80 and steel 130. I would like to be able to run doubles for something deeper like the Spiegel. Is there a single bp that I can use to accommodate both set ups?
2) The one part of my bc I like is the integrated weight system. Is there anything like this available in a bp? Or do you just use a belt?
3) What is an inexpensive yet quality bp set up to consider? I am guessing I would need aluminum plate, as the ss with a steel tank may be overweight.
4) I live in Coral Springs. Is there a local shop where I can look at the set ups, and learn more?

1) I generally dive reefs and wrecks not exceeding 90 feet, and alternate between an AL80 and steel 130. I would like to be able to run doubles for something deeper like the Spiegel. Is there a single bp that I can use to accommodate both set ups?

Backplates yes, wings, also yes but they pretty much suck. You should really get a different wing for both applications.

2) The one part of my bc I like is the integrated weight system. Is there anything like this available in a bp? Or do you just use a belt?

If you're moving up to a BP/W it's a good time to say goodbye to the gimmicks that you simply don't need. Most find diving an AL backplate w/ a steel tank need little or no weight, if you ditch the AL tank you won't need to constantly have to tinker w/ your weighting. There are weight pockets that can be added to the top cam band if you do in fact need weight.

Trimweight_bimini.jpg

3) What is an inexpensive yet quality bp set up to consider? I am guessing I would need aluminum plate, as the ss with a steel tank may be overweight.

I believe you're best bet for a reasonably priced BP/W in your area would be a Dive Rite set up from Fill Express. That said, BP/W setups are very durable and I'd encourage you to look at different rigs to determine what will best suit you, don't end up w/ a lesser setup to save a few bucks as a good rig, albeit expensive, will last a very long time. I love my Halcyon BP/W's but they are a bit pricey.

4) I live in Coral Springs. Is there a local shop where I can look at the set ups, and learn more?

A good place to start your education w/ a very helpful staff: Fill Express

OK, so I am looking into going from my Seaquest Balance BC, to a BP/W setup. I do like my current bc, but the bp/w looks much less restrictive, and a simple set up. I have a few questions about the switch, as I have never dove one, or even looked into it for that matter.

1) any std BP should be able to accommodate a doubles setup. The wing is the only thing you would need to change.
2) unsure, but i dont think there are any integrated weight setups with a standard hog harness. There may be other harnesses with BPs that do incorporate integrated weights, but I dont know much about them. There are other discussions right now about weight belts and their use, so I wont get into that now. You dont have to wear a weight belt if you use a BP/W though. there are many weighting options.
3) I have an oxycheq 30# wing and dive right ss BP and hog harness, and I love it. It was pretty cheap at ~325. With Al plate will be even cheaper. There are DSS setups that are, from what I hear, amazing and they are around 460 for a whole rig config.
4) dont know anything about LDSs around you with the gear, sorry.

Yes. Am probably going to try out the Aqualung Slingshots. Was looking at them Sunday.

Yes. Am probably going to try out the Aqualung Slingshots. Was looking at them Sunday.

My two cents, why buy a fin with a bunch of straps and adjustable gizmo's destined to wear out? I love my old, reliable, and rather indestructible SP Jets.

Valid point. I currently like my splits, except not so good on surface or in current. Looking for a fin that is still easy on the legs. These just seemed like they would be a good blend.

I second the jet fin rec they are amazing. easy on the legs too! See if you can try them out before you make a decision.

Valid point. I currently like my splits, except not so good on surface or in current. Looking for a fin that is still easy on the legs. These just seemed like they would be a good blend.

If they make you happy go for it but I learned long ago and after many bad purchases, gimmicks and diving don't mix. Keeping it simple and diving go nicely together.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom