People with Suunto D9. What are your thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hypertek99

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi I'm looking into buying a suunto d9 computer. Can you guys that have them tell me the good and the bad about them?

The good:
1) intuitive, easily navigated menus.
2) pairs automatically upon opening cylinder valve.
3) reliable--I have never seen a transmission lapse.
4) somewhat customizable decompression model.
5) it is small enough to wear as a slightly clunky watch--not exactly stylish, but I am happy to have only one watch to keep track of when I'm traveling.

The bad:
1) expensive; you can get a fully functional computer for non-deco diving for $1,000 less.
2) small screen; if you're presbyopic the display might be too small for easy reading.
3) conservative; even on the most liberal settings, it is relatively stingy with no-deco time.
4) the battery is not user serviceable; if you do a lot of dives this mgiht be an issue for you. Mine has lasted 4 years and ~300 dives so far.

The undecided:
I like the compass, but that's partly because I usually don't have much use for one. It works well, is tolerant of tilting, and you can set the declination for your current location. If you consult your compass frequently, you might find it inconvenient though.

My take-aways from reading about Sunntos (and watching other divers using Sunntos) are as follows:

1) too conservative

2) numerous wireless transmission 'issues' (losing contact with the 1st-stage mounted transmitter, or failing to 'sync-up' with the transmittter before the dive even begins)
(if you're gonna go 'wireless' it's good practice to at least also use a simple SPG as back-up.)

3) too small to easily read (magnified by a half foggy mask/murky waters/nighttime conditions)

I don't own/use Sunntos, nor do I ever plan to.

I'd have to disagree with most of the above posters comments.

While conservative the D9 can be modified and is not going to cost you substantial bottom time. Besides, what is too conservative?

I have never had an issue with the transmitter failing on over 250 dives with camera and strobe.

I have never had an issue with the screen and reading it but dive with contacts.

I think price and not being able to replace the battery yourself are the biggest drawbacks.

Just my thoughts, and I own one.

The good:
1) intuitive, easily navigated menus.
2) pairs automatically upon opening cylinder valve.
3) reliable--I have never seen a transmission lapse.
4) somewhat customizable decompression model.
5) it is small enough to wear as a slightly clunky watch--not exactly stylish, but I am happy to have only one watch to keep track of when I'm traveling.

The bad:
1) expensive; you can get a fully functional computer for non-deco diving for $1,000 less.
2) small screen; if you're presbyopic the display might be too small for easy reading.
3) conservative; even on the most liberal settings, it is relatively stingy with no-deco time.
4) the battery is not user serviceable; if you do a lot of dives this mgiht be an issue for you. Mine has lasted 4 years and ~300 dives so far.

The undecided:
I like the compass, but that's partly because I usually don't have much use for one. It works well, is tolerant of tilting, and you can set the declination for your current location. If you consult your compass frequently, you might find it inconvenient though.

Pretty much what I would say too.

Back
Top Bottom