Free 16lb Danforth Anchor - Ft Lauderdale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoeFL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Unfortunately, it’s resting at 65’ (or so) on the east side (I think) of the Jay Scutti. If you can get it, please do. Just do me a favor and deal with the 100’ or so of anchor line attached to it. Take it with you, or coil it and tie it off to the Scutti, just so it’s not floating around out there causing problems. Be careful.

How did it get there? Well here is the long, short version… I took two friends out on my boat to dive it Saturday. I love that wreck… anyway… Seas were running a very choppy 2’-4’ with a pretty stiff wind out of the south. I anchored on what I think is the east side of the Scutti and we started gearing up. 2-4 foot seas aren’t that bad, but when you are in a 21’ boat, its pretty sloppy. We were all getting a little queasy gearing up. That’s when the storm came. Basically a rain squall that moved through in about 5 minutes, but the wind picked up and the seas with it. I decided to call the dive since there were other storms around and I didn’t want to surface after a dive in 6’ seas. If only life were really that simple…

I started pulling in the anchor and had one of my buddies idle the boat forward to help me retrieve the line. My other buddy was basically passed out on the deck pretty much dying of seasickness at this point. Well, the anchor wouldn’t budge. I pulled on that anchor line for 30 minutes, and I couldn’t move it. Besides my tired arms, I was getting very ill, focusing on pulling that line in choppy seas… as sea sick as I’ve been in years. I was thinking the current was putting too much resistance on the anchor line for me to move it… it was running very fast on the surface at least. My buddy driving the boat thought I hooked the wreck. Either way, it looked like our only options were cut the line, or go down and see what’s wrong with our own eyes. We started gearing up again. Our very sick buddy was assigned the job of lying on the deck and NOT throwing up on anything important. As we were gearing up I was getting sicker and sicker. For every 10 seconds of work I put into gearing up I had to relax and breathe deeply for 30 seconds or so to keep from losing my breakfast. It was pretty bad :(

We were ready… I had a 50’ floating safety line off the back, and I figured we might need it with the current. We were planning to back roll in and meet at the anchor line to descend, just like always… We rolled in and by the time the bubbles cleared I just had enough time to swim my butt off to catch the safety line about 25’ behind the boat. My buddy did the same. Man… the surface current was as bad as I’ve ever felt in South FL. Had to be 3 or 4 knots. We could barely pull ourselves back to the boat. There was no way to get to the anchor line. I hadn’t run a line from the anchor line to the stern of the boat… probably for the best. My boat is not easy to get into from the water. Just one submerged step maybe 9 inches under the very small swim platform. We managed with great difficulty… but honestly, it was a lot more comfortable flapping around in the current than getting sick on the boat. So, that was it… I started the engine and cut that @#%&*$# anchor line and we got the heck out of there. It was a lot more depressing than it sounds… But, no one threw up. That’s the silver lining :rolleyes:

So that’s why the anchor is there… please feel free to get it… enjoy…

-Joe

-if it’s not there, someone beat you to it… sorry.

Back
Top Bottom