Beer...The Perfect Pre-Dive Drink???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottyK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does this seem like a problem to anyone, or am I just turning into a nerd as I get older?

Jen and I went out for a relaxing dive last night. The sight is a shallow shore dive. It is however, in a crowded Inlet. There is a boat launch, and a bridge full of fisherman that have to be navigated around. The tidal currents get nasty really quick if you overstay your welcome.

When we arrived, there was a group of guys pounding down brews out of a big cooler. They were really loud and obviously having a "good time". We assumed they were fishing, which would be totally cool with me. Nothing's better when you're fishing than a few cold ones and a hibachi.

Then they started breaking out dive gear and spear guns :confused:

The way they hit the water together probably scared away every fish in a three mile radius. All that was missing was the helicopter attack soundtrack from Apocolypse Now.

We've been diving the site for years. We are familiar enough with it to maximize our time there by working our way into the shallows before the outgoing tide gets too strong. When we got out, the tide was running and they were nowhere in sight. I couldn't see any dive lights out in the channel and can only assume they got swept down a couple of hunded yards and had to walk back to their cars.

I'm half expecting to be reading about one of them in todays paper....

Beer ... the perfect post-dive drink!
Nothings better than a beer and bbq AFTER the fact!!

OMG, this goes way back, to the days before SPG's.
I recall reading a white paper in the 70's (ya, I'm that old). There was some research done by a group in Michigan, (I think it was Detroit, but not sure) that studied the hyperbaric effects of alcohol.

The results were not good.
Even shallow (30 - 60 fsw) depths resulted in increased impairment. Increased depths were not linear, impairment effect increased on a rapidly increasing sloped curve.

net conclusion: Don't Drink and Dive!

Mike D

ScottyK once bubbled...

Then they started breaking out dive gear and spear guns :confused:

The way they hit the water together probably scared away every fish in a three mile radius. All that was missing was the helicopter attack soundtrack from Apocolypse Now.

That was good...

I believe its called...DARWINs

Not getting old or turning into a nerd, just getting smarter! I too see them every weekend mixing alcohol & boating, diving & waverunning.

Sorry,our rule - first beverage = last dive, no operating machinery (including cars), it's time to sit on the deck & let life go by...

See...they were fishing...they were just doing it from below the surface.....First you say it is cool if they're fishing, then you're opposed to it....man you NY people are screwy....:wink:

But seriously....Beer afterwards is good, so if food, but before hand is just plain ignorant....oh well, to each.

Jersey once bubbled...
Sorry,our rule - first beverage = last dive, no operating machinery (including cars), it's time to sit on the deck & let life go by...

Whoa whoa whoa....let's not get too hasty there....4-wheelers, beer, and mini bikes are a damn good time....just try not to drive through the campfire.

.. don't forget beer and fire arms! :wink:

When I used to work on a ranch in Nebraska, I knew an old one-eyed cowboy who wore an eye patch and a side arm in an old gun belt all the time. He lost his eye due to a little mishap by getting out his side arm after knocking back a few. He reminded me alot of that John Wayne character "Rooster Cogburn" (or whichever character it was that had the eye patch).

Yeah, guns and beer rock! .... Guns 'n Boozes!! :bang:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom